Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Awwww ....

I just saw a cat get hit by a car in front of my house. I'd seen him hanging around a lot before--he (actually could've been a she, I never got close enough to tell) was a great big grey tabby with a bobbed tail. Sometimes he'd be hanging out at the top of my driveway when I got home from work, but he always ran off right away.

The really sad thing is that if I hadn't stepped out my front door right when I had, he probably wouldn't have gotten hit. I think he must have come up onto my porch to escape the rain (it is a dark and stormy night), and then he bolted when I opened the door. I saw him running toward the street right as I heard the car coming up the street, and I knew exactly what was about to happen, but of course it happened faster than I could do anything ... not that there was anything I could have done. Even if I'd been inclined to throw myself in front of the car to save the cat it all happened about 50 feet away from where I was standing. I just stood there and watched.

Then I rushed back inside wailing to Mark that I had just seen a cat get hit by a car. My distress threw my dogs into distress and they immediately crowded around me as if they were trying to make me feel better or something. So then I had to act all happy to get them to calm down. Mark moved the body to the edge of the street so it wouldn't keep getting hit, but I have no idea what to do with it now. I couldn't just toss what may have been someone's cat into the trash can, and besides I don't even know if that would be legal. Lucy killed a bird once and I put it into the trash ... wrapped in a few plastic grocery bags. A squirrel met his end in the street and we got tired of looking at the carcass, so it went in the bin as well. But cats are just different. Their dead belong buried in the yard with some flowers planted over them (illegal inside city limits, so of course I would never do that ...)

I posted to the neighborhood e-mail list what had happened in case this was someone's cat. A guy on my street wrote back that he had put food out for the cat over the past two years, but he thought maybe it belonged to someone up the street somewhere. From the looks of the cat he'd been eating at several houses, so I suppose his life hadn't been too terribly hard. And I'm pretty sure he died instantly, which would be the best way to go, I guess.

No comments: