Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Ack, Ack, Ack

I was catching up over at This Modern World earlier, and he had a link to this bit that appeared at The Onion right around this time last year. I remember reading it last year and thinking it was hilarious, but it's even funnier now--in a sad and scary way.

Anywho, back to the war here at home: cheating employees out of overtime isn't just a game Wal-Mart likes to play. if you missed the NY Times article Sunday about companies shaving hours off of employees time reports to avoid paying overtime (or just to save a few bucks), you should check it out. I followed a link from Tom Tomorrow to South Knox Bubba to Newsrack, whose proprietor, Thomas, is having a contest for the best letter of outrage to any of the companies mentioned in the article. Now that's a great way to blow off some steam and make the companies' PR people work a little overtime of their own, but it's not the way the workers are going to get what they are due once and for all. It starts with a U ...

... Which just made me dredge up an old memory. Several years ago (1995? '96?) I had an opportunity to spend an entire night on the picket lines of the Detroit News/Free Press strike (the papers go out in the wee hours, so that's the time to picket). Some of the strikers had spelled out a word on the ground (I think they used planks, but I've forgotten details) designed to be seen by news helicopters. I walked over to see what it was, and I was a little puzzled ... "ONION?" Why did they go to all that trouble to spell out "ONION?" (apparently a couple of the planks had gotten knocked out of alignment a bit).

No comments: