Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Enjoying my perks ...

I think I mentioned before that one of the cool things about my dj gig at WXDU is that I get to review cds so we can figure out what we want to put on playlist. Occasionally this means listening to a lot of mediocre stuff or downright crap, but often something brilliant comes through my headphones.

Like right now I'm listening to Taking Things Apart by Decomposure (21-year old Canadian Caleb Mueller). I guess technically this would fall into the "experimental electronic" category which ordinarily wouldn't get my attention. I usually don't get too excited about experimental music because its appreciation often requires more cognitive effort than I care to put forth on a regular basis. Maybe it's the organic origin of Mueller's sounds that makes this captivating; all the songs are made of everyday sounds that he's broken down and reassembled using basic sound editing software. Each song is made of exactly what the title says: the track "Scrabble" is from a tape Mueller had made of he and his wife playing Scrabble; "Matches" is all sounds made by matches; "Speech" is one of Dubya's early post-9/11 speeches, with backing percussive sounds and effects made entirely from bits of speech and extraneous background noises like claps and microphone noise (for example he used the "s" sound from "it's" to make a high-hat cymbal sound ... quite cool).

Mueller's liner notes are as interesting as the music itself. (I was nowhere near as articualate when I was 21 ... In fact I'm probably not that articulate now. At least I don't refer to myself with a lower-case "i," though. That gets annoying.) Anyway, even if experimental electronica isn't your thing, the stories behind each song are worth reading.

In other news, I came across another one of those little generators that's amusing for a few minutes at Rum and Monkey. It's Gregor's Semi-Automatic Live Journal Updater. This is what it helped me create:

Today was really bewildering.

I got out of bed just before breakfast because the smell of cooking bacon woke me up.

I feel a bit strange because we've just moved to Idaho and there's a weird smell in the house.

I'm so hardcore. Me and Buzz went to the mall today, and I stole a whole heap of stuff. I got a Good Charlotte CD, a couple of DVDs and some new boots. Buzz got caught, but he fought his way out, and then we stole some lady's car and smashed it into a phone booth.

Last night I had to go and pay Joshua's bail. He's such a jerk. He got arrested for punching the Walmart clerk in the face for refusing to sell him beer. He's only 16!

I want to tell the world to get fucked.

I am really annoyed with those assholes at _are_you_hotter_than_us_?, because I am so much cuter than them, and those photos don't do me justice. They can't reject me, so I'm starting my own rating community. Click here to join (the first five applicants are automatically accepted).

Today, I got a digital camera! Yes! I'm so ugly. Don't look at my photos pleeeeeze.

I want to say thanks to the world for absolutely fucking nothing! You all suck. I feel so alone, no one ever reads this journal, or even comments to let me know that I'm not suffering alone. It's cold here, and I want to die, but I cannot figure out how many of you to take with me when I go.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and he said I have bipolar disorder, which makes me different enough to be interesting, but the same as all the other cool people with bipolar disorder.

You should all do this quiz! It's amazingly accurate. You just put in your name and birthday, and it will tell you YOUR IQ.

I like SweetTarts.

That's enough for now. But I'll leave you with this thought - sharing your life with strangers on the internet is the cheapest form of therapy available. Leave a comment and tell me I'm beautiful.

Created with the Gregor's Semi-Automatic LiveJournal Updater™. Update your journal today!
Powered by Rum and Monkey



Now I don't believe I've ever read a Live Journal, but they tell me it's where all the teen types go to blog and therefore it can get rather silly over there. But honestly if the kids over there are writing about crashing stolen cars and punching Wal-Mart clerks, it sounds a lot more interesting than some of the so-called "A-list" bloggers everyone links to.

No comments: