Friday, June 04, 2004

If you kids don't shut up ...

I've been a sporadic poster in the last week because I've been quite busy at work and after work, plus I've either had a migraine or been on the verge of one for the past several days. It's been a while since I've had this many migraines--I've been getting them since I was about 9 or 10, but they had tapered off over the past two years so I'd been lulled into thinking I actually led an enjoyable life. Not this week. But it has reminded me of one more reason I can give people when they ask why I don't have kids: "I GET MIGRAINES, DAMMIT!" I've heard some women say that their migraines went away after they got pregnant, but I'd hate to take a chance on becoming that woman on the evening news being led away in handcuffs while decent folks all over the country wondered how anyone could do such a thing ...

Enough of that topic ...

While I was in Myrtle Beach last weekend, we actually managed to find a bookstore. Seriously, there aren't a lot of them there. But since the big chain bookstores seem to be devoting more and more space to trinkets, chocolates, coffee, calendars and gifts that have very little to do with actual reading, they qualify as a "shopping destination" and therefore there is a place for them in the Myrtle Beach shoppingscape. So we stopped by the Big Chain Bookstore, and I found a book that promised to explain to me why Myrtle Beach is the way it is: Banana Republic: A Year In the Heart of Myrtle Beach by Will Moredock. I bought it and dove right in--it's quite a good history of the city. It was a great read, but rather depressing because it's really a tale about the triumph of avarice and guile (oh and don't forget bigotry) over the common good. No wonder I don't like Myrtle Beach. Anyway, I think it would be an interesting read even for folks who've never been to the "Redneck Riviera."

What I can't figure out is why Canadians seem to love the place so much. Maybe they're really just as crazy as Americans, although they go to great pains to deny it ...

No comments: