Monday, July 19, 2004

I hate my Macintosh ...

I've been using Macs since 1990, when I bought a used Mac Plus. I've always liked the Mac platform and have nothing but contempt for the Windows (I have to use it all day every day at work, alas). But I recently (finally) upgraded from OS 9.2 to OSX 10.3, and now I hate my Mac. Sure, David Pogue Goes on and on about how stable OSX is (like Mt. Everest!), how freeze-ups are exceedingly rare and how the way it allocates memory means that one app can't take down the whole system anymore. That's shit. Over the last two days I've had about 10 fatal freezes--in which I couldn't even move the curser and had to resort to a forced reboot--all using OSX's own built-in apps: Safari, iTunes and iCal.

I'm willing to admit that it could be the fault of the third-party wireless home network hardware/software I'm using, the only third-party app that's been running every single time I've had a freeze-up. Before I was using it none of the apps I used--iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iCal--ever froze (I don't know about Safari--before I had the wireless network crap I couldn't connect to the internet because our networking hardware didn't support OSX. I had to boot from my 9.2 partition to access the internet.) It's pretty common for companies to produce shitty Mac versions of their software because they don't really give a crap about the users who make up such a small part of their market. But if OSX were really as stable as Mt. Everest, then why in the hell should a dumb little wireless network adaptor wreak such havoc?

So now I guess I just can't have internet at home--I can't go back to the 9.2 solution because I don't think the new home network hardware supports it. Besides, switching between partitions was as inconvenient and tiresome as having my computer freeze up every 10 minutes. Besides, everythin in OSX is pretty much designed with the idea that one will have a constant internet connection. It's almost pointless to use it without one. Anyway, having a Macintosh has become a pain in the ass. I hate Windows, but I may just have to switch so I can use my computer and connect to the internet at the same time.

Oh yeah, and the OSX interface is designed for 2nd graders: hideous, annoying and cartoonish with its stupid dancing icons, "genie" effects and shiny plastic look. I know I can turn that shit off (except for the shiny plastic look--I'm stuck with that), but why should I have to? Why can't all the morons who want it have to go to the trouble to turn it on?

Yes, I'm in a crappy mood.

1 comment:

Groc said...

you're not allowed to say anything against macs - steve jobs will send his boys round to break your kneecaps!