Wednesday, August 18, 2004

I'm jonesing ...

I'm really craving a paleta de coco, or coconut popsicle, right now. The Mexican popsicle guy has got me hooked. He came by a couple of weeks ago with his little pushcart jingle-jangle-jingling, and on a whim I grabbed a dollar and chased him down. I decided I'd practice my spanish on him, so we chatted a bit, and I got him a glass of water because it was a hella hot day. But little did I realize that he was just a pusher. I'm hooked on the coconut popsicles. Damn they're good. If a Mexican guy comes jingle-jangle-jingling through your neighbohood with his pushcart full of paletas, grab a buck and go ask him for a coco. It's worth the monkey on your back.

When I was a kid the rumor went around that ice cream men were really pushers, and they put drugs in the ice cream to get kids hooked. I wouldn't buy their ice cream. Seriously.

[A few moments later...] Wow, that was cool ... dude (his name is José Antonio and he's from Veracruz, home of the son jarocho, by the way) just came jinge-jangle-jingling by, and I now have my coco.

Music to eat coconut popsicles by: Right this minute I'm listening to Cambodian Cassette Archives: Khmer Folk and Pop Music Vol. 1. Georg had popped in to WXDU while I was doing my radio show today, and he had a handful of these great cds from Sublime Frequencies. So I get to review the Cambodian Cassette one and Bush Taxi Mali: Field Recordings from Mali. So it's been a great week for music, because I was already grooving on the new Jens Lekman EP and flipping my wig over the latest from Slim Cessna's Auto Club. (If I were wearing socks today Slim Cessna would have knocked them off).

Anyway, I had something else to write about but now I've gone and forgotten it. Anyway, I'm going to be wild and turn comments on for this post. Georg said I should just randomly turn them on and off, which sounds like a perfectly good plan to be. In fact I think that Blogger, in addition to offering "yes" and "no" options for the "Allow Comments On This Post?" field, should also offer "Surprise Me."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy crap! those cds were sitting, totally exposed to thievery or other mishaps, right under the wipe-board at the entrance of the station. i [ahem] rescued them on monday afternoon. i'm so fucking happy that they found a good home!

.r.

Lisa B. said...

My theory is that they were sent FedEx or UPS and some random dj opened the door, signed for them and then didn't know what to do with them. Georg and I were both quite giddy over them.

I've never actually wanted to visit mali before, but now after listening to the Bush Taxi Mali cd I'm thinking of joining the Peace Corps ...

Anonymous said...

Does Cambodian Cassette Archives sound anything like Cambodia Rocks? I love that album! -Sarah

Anonymous said...

i've heard the "bush taxi mali" cd on the OTHER radio station, and i concur! get it on playlist, please. i'm begging. begging.

Lisa B. said...

I don't know if CCA sounds like Cambodia Rocks because I don't think I've actually heard Cambodia Rocks ... but CCA does indeed rock!

BTM and CCA will go up on playlist this Sunday!! They have gone to the head of the line as far as actually getting reviewed. And if my stupid job didn't involve so much actual work I would drop what I'm doing and write the reviews right this second! But I have to get back to stupid work ...

Anonymous said...

Several of the tracks of Dengue Fever were covers from Cambodia Rocks, so I guess it sounds a lot like Dengue Fever. I think Cambodia Rocks has a more raw sound though.

dreadman said...

If you ever go to New York or Puerto Rico look for what we call coquitos. They are a coconut ice that is Puerto Rican made. These guys who sell that on the street only sell that kind of ice. They make a living from it it is so good. A really good one will have little bits of coconut and is different and more creamy than the italian variety. These guys mostly make the ice in their homes, so it is not prepacked. You think you are addicted now, I want to move back to New York so I can get this stuff.