Monday, August 30, 2004

A world of snot ...

Sorry for the title of the post, but I woke up with a cold this morning and it's all I could think of. Mark's philosophy on being sick is that if he's going to be miserable he might as well do it at work. But his sick leave is not separate from vacation, so if he takes off for illness he loses a day to take off for enjoyment. Besides, if your boss doesn't give you real sick time you should take your germs to him/her and share the fun. I once worked at a place that gave one sick day per year, and when I came back from vacation in Mexico with ... well you can imagine what ... I daydreamed about fun ways to infect my boss. (OK, I apologize for sharing that).

I now get actual sick time, and I can only take it for health-related things, so when I'm sick I stay home. I'm also mighty irritable when I'm sick, and some of the people at work would only compound my misery. And the people I work with get ticked off when folks come in sick when we have such a good sick leave policy. If I were to go in and anyone else were to get sick within the next two weeks I would be blamed for it.

Good thing I stayed home, because we seem to have a leak in our roof and I was able to put a bucket under it before things got soaked (Thanks to the remnants of Tropical Storm Gaston for bringing the leak to my attention).

I just realized that I'm boring myself, so I can only imagine that anyone who's made it this far is thinking. Wake up! Go somewhere more exciting ... Looky: naughty bits!

5 comments:

andrew said...

Where does Mark work that punishes you like for being sick? Aside from the rights of the worker, are they the worst business people in the world to not realise the costthemselves of bringing people into the workplace who are ill? Some businesses make me laugh because they are so bad at business.

Lisa B. said...

Mark works in the USA!! Seriously, there's no federal requirement that any employer give anyone any paid time off. Not only that but North Carolina has really bad (for the employee) employment laws--a symptom of the entire "open-shop" (i.e. anti-union) South. Instead of workers' rights we have "Right to Work."

andrew said...

I thought it was bad in Europe... It is pretty bad in Canada too, but the difference here is people think that they have it so much better than the States when they don't. Heidi's job says she cannot have any holiday for a year and must take it in money - illegal in the EU.

It amazes me that corporations go for social control over effieciency and profit - something they claim to be all about. Heidi's company did away with weekly meetings so they coud get an extra hour's work out of people - so now new directives and training doesn't get communicated to the staff. Smart, huh?

Lisa B. said...

Well, making the workforce feel powerless and demoralized has worked well for US capitalism so far ... the Canadians probably recognize that.

I know so many people (myself included) who stay working full-time when we could probably make enough to be happy with free-lancing just because we're afraid to be without guaranteed-issue health insurance. I really think that's a major reason we don't have a national health care system here in the US--The work force wouldn't be quite so desperate. A lot of people could get by on less and be happier working part-time or in business for themselves, but they can't get insurance because of pre-existing conditions or because it's outrageously expensive. If we got a national health system a bunch of us would up and quit!

andrew said...

I forgot to say yesterday: sorry you're sick and I hope you feel better soon.

The same is true in Canada - one of the reasons Heidi wanted to get a job was to get health care. Her package also covers me for some major things and 50% for things like eye care and dental care (which even in Britain are no longer free although they used to be).

Canada has some free health care but drugs you have to pay for and so it doesn't matter if your doctor's appointment is free if the doctor tells you need to spend $200 a month on drugs.