I honestly thought that, with the exception of a couple of lyrics, my legions of obscure-music-loving readers would just tear right through my little lyrics-guessing meme game. I really thought I was making it easy, except for maybe No. 1 and possible No. 14. But I guess not.
So if anyone (rick!?) wants to keep trying, here are some clues:
1. Related to #15 (in a side-project/later band kind of way)
2. I got to meet the lead singer of this group a few weeks before his tragic and bizarre death in 1985.
3. A #1 hit in the UK in the early '80s ... this band was much less well-known in the US but still beloved by the young college radio/punk/new wave types
4. BWV got this one
5. Oop, this isn't from the 80s--it's from 1979, and I didn't discover it until after this man's third album came out in 1980.
6. rick! got this one
7. We already know this one is Elvis Costello ... come on, is there no one else who obsessed over EC in the 80s the way I did?
8. From the 70s, a defining hit for the artist most famous for singing it ...
9. The group is Irish ... this song was actually released in 1978, and I didn't discover it until after this group's controversial 1979 hit single. I still think of this as "80s music", though ...
10. We know it's Luna ... just need the song title ...
11. Ooops, another "80s song" that actually came out in 1979 ... from a UK group with enduring influence
12. rick! got this one
13. These scruffy midwestern guys were grungy 10 years before the record companies discovered Seattle. They were also known for being incoherently drunk onstage, wearing dresses and spitting beer on their fans. This is from their ass-kicking third album (not counting an EP) released in 1984.
14. See the comments for clues on this one
15. rick! got this one