I'm picking this up from Alicia ... I don't know what I was up to last time this meme went around, because Alicia was the first I'd heard of it. No biggie, I'm usually pretty much out of the loop on everything. Anyway, the deal is I list song lyrics and you people tell me where you think they are from. Most of this stuff is from the 80s, a few are from the 90s, two are from the 70s and only one is from this century. I think most of them are pretty easy, but then I made the list, didn't I?
While I was "researching" this by listening to lots of music, I started listening to The Pixies Trompe Le Monde (no Pixies lyrics here, though), and it made me wonder: how many songs can people come up with that contain the sound of a beer bottle falling on the floor? Because "Planet of Sound" features a falling beer bottle, and I'm positive there's a Replacements song that features a bottle as well (I just can't remember which one). Anybody know of any other songs?
Anyway, here's the list:
1. In this age of frozen freaks the only highs we get are low
2. I had a girl, she loved what she saw; she loved me so good, she made her daddy mad (Georg got this one)
3. You choose your leaders and place your trust; As their lies wash you down and their promises rust (Andrew got this one)
4. It may look to the untrained eye, I'm sitting on my arse all day; I'm biding time until I take you all on (BWV got this one--mostly)
5. He sits there drinkin' gin and she sits there drinkin' beer like me
6. Dark party bars, shiny cadillac cars and the people on subways and trains (rick! got this one)
7. Don't you know I got the bully boys out changing someone's facial design,
8. I know I need a small vacation, but it don't look like rain.
9. And Suzie is a jewel, she flashes when she smiles.
10. I can hypnotize a pancake, I can levitate the pope
11. I can't love when anyone loves me, and I can't find the someone to love
12. This was the only kindness and it was accidental too (rick! got this one)
13. Yeah, I know I look like hell; I smoke and I drink and I'm feeling swell
14. To yourself and to your family and friends you're just like a party and the party never ends
15. Dialogue dub, now here's the rub; She's acting her reaction (rick! got this one)
Special bonus extra credit "rock en español" lyric (any kindred spirits out there?):
Por eso ahora tendre que obsequiarte un par de balazos pa que te duela. (Who rocks completely for knowing the provenance of these lyrics? Prentiss, that's who!)
Like I said, if you don't play along Hurricane Lisa will mess you up.