Tuesday, January 04, 2005

I was just reading about a poll to find the UK's most popular pop song ever. Here's the list they get to choose from:
1. Heroes - David Bowie
2. We Are The Champions - Queen
3. Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush
4. Night Fever - Bee Gees
5. London Calling - The Clash
6. Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
7. That's Entertainment - The Jam
8. I Don't Want To Talk About It - Rod Stewart
9. Look of Love - ABC
10. Golden Brown - The Stranglers
11. True - Spandau Ballet
12. Careless Whisper - George Michael
13. Holding Back The Years - Simply Red
14. Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
15. Sacrifice - Elton John
16. Unfinished Sympathy - Massive Attack
17. Why - Annie Lennox
18. Fields of Gold - Sting
19. Kiss From A Rose - Seal
20. Wonderwall - Oasis
21. Angels - Robbie Williams
22. Yellow - Coldplay
23. Babylon - David Gray
24. Leave Right Now - Will Young
25. Dry Your Eyes - The Streets

All in all, they have a much cooler list from which to choose than we would ever have here in the US. Sure, we would still have some of the same shit, like Elton John, the Bee Gees and maybe even Peter Gabriel (oh no, worse, Phil Collins) on our list, but there's no way The Clash, The Jam, Joy Division or The Stranglers would ever appear on a US top 25 all-time list.

Now I'm trying to think of what would appear on a US list, and I'm coming up with Debbie Boone's "You Light Up My Life." I guess maybe I'm blocking it out ... anybody got any ideas or know where I can find such a list?

4 comments:

paul said...

surely your lot would pick an Elvis song somewhere up there....

and good to see you have comments! (seeing as i had a whinge last time...)

Lisa B. said...

Paul? As in Postman Paul? (Or maybe former postman?) Good to hear from you!

As popular as Elvis was, I'm not sure if any one Elvis single would make it into a top 25 of all-time.

I've been googling to see if I can find anyone who has compiled a top US singles list, and all I can find are lists from specific years. It's probably pointless and silly because it would be mostly crap anyway. It's more fun to make a "worst" list anyway.

For example, my vote for absolute worst song of the '80s is: Bonnie Tyler, "Total Eclipse of The Heart." (Please tell me that folks in the UK were spared this one.)

r4kk4 said...

oh! oh! you're forgetting "cat scratch fever"! (god, i hate that song.)

i haven't found any lists for u.s. songs either! although i do recall seeing an article about bands that were fairly rated (as opposed to over- or under- rated) a few weeks back.

Lisa B. said...

Um, yeah, thanks--I had successfully blocked out all memories of "Cat Scratch Fever" until, just now!