Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Let me clear out the cobwebs ...

I had a 3-day weekend. One of the few good things about working where I work* is that we get a few holidays not all private companies give, like MLK day, Good Friday and Veteran's Day. I spent most of my MLK Day on the sofa, alternating between reading and watching TV. It was glorious. I should do it more often. Every time I got the urge to go check e-mail or play on Flickr or do something "creative" I fought it, and I'm glad I did. Consequently, I don't really have anything interesting to say ...

Except that I am reading a cool book: Rising Fire : Volcanoes and Our Inner Lives by John Calderazzo. He got fascinated by volcanoes years ago when he was researching a children's book, so he just started running around learning about them, visiting them and rumiating about the way they shape the cultures affected by them. I'm fascinated by volcanoes as well, ever since our visit years ago to Mt. Arenal in Costa Rica. We were there for two days, and I hated to tear myself away when it was time to leave and spend a few days at the beach. Watching the volcano spit fiery rocks and ash from the porch of our little cabin was probably one of the funnest and most relaxing things I've ever done on vacation. Hiking up to an old lava flow was also fun, especially when the volcano "snorted" a bit while we were descending and rained ash down upon us (not good for the lungs, though.) When we went to Dominica two years ago, I was glued to the window of the plane as we flew past Montserrat, home of the Soufriere Hills volcano. Anyway, this book has completely reminded me of how cool volcanoes are. Why didn't I major in geology or something in college and become a vulcanologist? Stupid, stupid youth ... I should have some volcano opportunities while we're in Ecuador, however, which is a good thing.

* In answer to the question I always get: Our benefits aren't as great as everyone seems to think. Our health insurance really sucks and I don't go to the doctor because I have to pay too much every time. We have some kind of retirement thingie, but I don't plan on staying here long enough to retire. The pay sucks. We get NO bonuses, ever, and we rarely get raises because WE HAVE NO UNION. I basically work here for the vacation time--a good job is one you don't have to actually go to sometimes.

1 comment:

Chelle said...

What a great way to explain state bennies! I took my day "sick" day on Friday 'cause I knew that the kids would be home on MLK Holiday. I needed to be ALONE(I wish I could type that as well as Garbo would say it). I save all my state sick days for my kids and an occasional mental health day like Friday. Anyway, my day was like yours - a good book, some bad TV and a great couch.