Monday, January 24, 2005

Yep. It's cold. Sure is.

My catchphrase of the week: "This weather is bullshit, man!"

But here's something interesting (to me at least): I believe I've complained here before about my sore knee, which I feared would hurt until I die. I had been taking a glucosamine & chondroitin supplement for months without feeling any difference. In fact, if anything, the knee was hurting worse. So then my friend Ditto told me a couple of weeks ago that I should try doubling the dose. I figured what the hell, glucosamine isn't going to kill me, so I do it. Well goddamn if my knee ain't stopped hurting! Now I've been to grad school, so I know perfectly well that correlation does not equal causation. In other words, just because I double the glucosamine dose and two weeks later my knee doesn't hurt any more doesn't mean that one caused the other. In the interests of science, I should now either cut the dose back in half (or stop taking it altogether) and see if the pain returns. If it does, then I need to take the double-dose again and see if the pain disappears again. That still doesn't necessarily prove anything, but it coms a little close to proof, scientifically speaking.

But I'm not gonna. I'm just going to keep taking the double dose because it's such a cool thing for my knee not to be hurting that I don't want to take a chance of ruining it.

3 comments:

andrew said...

That's good knee news. I would check with the doc if there is any reason not to take twice as much.

Nasty things knees: they can turn on you just like that. I had water on both knees when I was 22 and my knees weren't wholly better for nearly 10 years.

And yes, this weather IS bullshit.

Anonymous said...

You should also note, because of the cold weather, you haven't been doing much dog sports. This also could've had benefits. However, once you start doing the dog sports again (and I hope you do), I'm sure the extra dosage won't hurt. You may also try an anti-inflammatory.

Sincerely,

Lucy

The El said...

my catchphrase has been: "Snow Blows!" -- just because it has that "headline" kindof ring.