Tuesday, February 08, 2005

A clean slate ...

Today, my computer at work had a bit of a meltdown, which cause me to have a bit of a meltdown because it happened when I was trying to do one of those things that had to be done RIGHT NOW. Of course, it was a stupid thing that didn't really need to be done RIGHT NOW, but Very Important People said it had to be done, so what was I to do? Unfortunately, I couldn't do it, because I was having a computer meltdown. I didn't call in the IT people for help, because I was operating under several assumptions: a) it's a Windows machine, so of course it's shit and doesn't work correctly when I need it to; b) our network does flippy things sometimes, and my place is to just deal with that when it happens; and c) the document I had to fix had been created in PageMaker, which is a scourge upon this earth and always succeeds in making my life miserable when I find myself in the unfortunate position of having to use it.

So while I was tearing my hair out, gnashing my teeth and wondering how upset Mr. Pants would get if I told him I had quit my job today, an IT person came in, walked straight over to my desk and asked what kind of problems I was having. While I explained it, I kept wondering: how did she know? Do they have a little warning system with lights that blink to indicate that a workstation is in danger of being tossed out the window? "Code Blue in the graphics sector, stat!" It was really weird.

Now that I'm thinking straight again, I've realized that one of my office mates must have alerted the IT people, and asked them to please come help before I hurled the machine at someone. I'll have to ask them tomorrow, right after I apologize to the co-worker who had the misfortune of coming and asking for help with something while I was in the middle of the meltdown. But the upshot is that the IT person has decided that they need to wipe and reinstall the whole system, which sort of means life as I know it will come to a screeching halt tomorrow. I will have to re-install everything I use and do all the tweaking and whatnot that get everything back the way I like it. Crap.

2 comments:

leff said...

Suck-a-doodle doo. Is your data ok at least? Reinstalling everything is one thing, but redoing lost work is quite another.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, what version of pagemaker are they up to now? I used to use it around 5, I think. Around the time adobe bought out aldus. I quite liked it then (worked better for me than quark 3.3, but probably only because I started with PM). I've heard from other people that it's crap now. I guess adobe took it down a dark path...

Whoa. Ok. I'll stop rambling.

Lisa B. said...

No data lost! I keep my work on a network server, and my personal stuff was OK. I backed it all up before the re-install. Lots of photos. Lots of music. I really needed to back it all up anyway!

Now I get to spend hours reinstalling Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design, Quark, etc ...