Thursday, February 03, 2005

I kinda doubt it ...

[Edit: Originally I had posted the photo I refer to below in the body of the post ... then I realized it was just too icky. I took out the pic and linked to it instead. So warning: don't click on the "this photo link" if you are easily disturbed by food that looks a lot like the animal whence it came.]

One of the questions I've been asking myself as the date of our trip to Ecuador approaches is: Would I be willing to try "cuy," aka guinea pig?

This photo provided the answer. (Which is: um, no, gracias.)

Actually, the answer was provided a few days ago by my "Let's Go: Ecuador" book when it informed me that the name "cuy" is from the "cuy! cuy! cuy!" scream of the guinea pigs just before they are skewered and cooked.

Egads.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, yeah, that's not looking too tasty. i don't generally object to food looking like the animal whence it came but that's looking a bit too much like something i dissected way back in freshman biology (well, if the lab had burned down)

-georg

andrew said...

mmmm... rodentilicious!

What made me laugh was thinking back to my childhood when lots of our friends had guinea pigs (although we never did.) When a G.P. died you were supposed to put it in a pan on the stove and light the stove to try to resusitate it - 50% of the time it would work. I guess the logical extension is to just leave it in the pan, like the ones in the photo... Waste not, want not, as they say.