Thursday, February 03, 2005

It's jinglicious!

Thanks to birdw0rks, I have my own radio jingle! I'm seriously thrilled. When I feel blue I can just listen to my radio jingle and it cheers me right up! Of course I'm going to play it on my show.

I think birdw0rks was feeling sorry for me. Everything went wrong for me last night during my debut in my new time slot. I wanted to play "Jimmy Carter Says Yes" from The American Song Poem Anthology for Rakka because she loves Jimmy Carter, but I couldn't find the cd anywhere even though I'm almost certain WXDU owns it (Hi Rakka! Hi Leff! Thanks for calling last night--that was a highlight of the evening!)

I had been very unlike myself and planned ahead some of the stuff I wanted to play on my show, and then I couldn't find a single one of the cds/lps I needed. So I was reduced to my usual strategy of winging it, which works OK, but isn't always ideal. CD player #2 was wigging out and skipping, so I couldn't use it at all. So then, I go to play birdw0rks' Flickr song, an event to which I had been looking forward, and the stupid cd I had burned wouldn't play (stupid me had forgot to reset i-Tunes to "music cd" ... I had set it on "data cd" for something else I was doing. D'oh!).

But wait, that's not all: at one point during the show when I was trying to extract a cd from player #1, the tray kept opening halfway and then closing up quickly so I could neither get the old cd out or put a new one in. (That part was like a nightmare scene in a comedy movie--it would have been hilarious if it weren't happening to me in the middle of my show.) Then this guy calls because the kids in his class are doing some projects and some of them picked WXDU as the topic and he wants to know how his kids can get in touch with blah blah blah .... I told him to get e-mail addresses off the web site, but he apparently really wants to reach someone by phone (perhaps he's e-mail-phobic the way I'm phone-phobic, who knows). Anyway, his call took a while--I even put him on hold while I did a talkset--and I really thought I would never get off the phone. He sounded very nice, and I really didn't want to be rude to him, but my song was running out and I had nothing cued up! (This scenario was in fact the theme of many a nightmare during my first incarnation as an undergrad DJ at Virginia Tech. Another nightmare was that I was waiting tables and I would get one table their water and then forget all about them until closing time ...)

Anyway, the long and short of it is I was glad when 10 pm came. Thanks for listening if you did, and better luck next time! Oh yeah, and check out The Brazilian Girls before they become ubiquitous. I predict that soon you won't be able to throw a stick without hitting a coffeehouse that's playing them nonstop in the background. So listen to them now while you still have a chance to enjoy them.

9 comments:

r4kk4 said...

birdw0rks is the COOLEST!!!! i loveLOVE your new song!! (and the flickr song too, of course! :D!!!)

(thanks for finding the jimmy carter song! you're so sweet!!!)

and, here's the big question...when were you at virginia tech?!?! because i used to hang out with a bunch of people from there! and i even spent one loooooong spring break there playing pool and drinking up a storm at the cellar! (it was the cellar, right? laughing!!)

Lisa B. said...

Yes, birdw0rks is a star!!

I wish I could have actually played the Jimmy Carter song--it's very entertaining!

I was at Va Tech from 1982-1986. I'm old. Yes, it was the cellar, except I think it was "Greek's Cellar" for much of the time I was there (not because it was full of frat boys but because it was owned by Greek folks.) Blacksburg was a mighty fun place ... it's been years since I've been back there, though. For all I know it sucks there now. I think Va Tech station (WUVT) became all heavy metal or something ...

leff said...

Hi!
I don't have anything to add. It was fun having a conversation for real. You know, like, with my mouth.

That sounds really bad when you say it like that. But you know what I mean.

Lisa B. said...

No, Leff, I have no idea what you mean ... uh, thanks for stopping by, I guess ...

Nah! Kidding ;D ... I know what you mean (even though, yeah, it did sound kinda wierd the way you put it ...)

wordnerdy said...

arg! i love that jimmy carter song! we definitely had it at the station, so where did it go???

Sarah said...

By last night all three CD players were misbehaving: CD1 was cuing up the wrong track if you used program, CD2 wasn't working at all, and CD3 occasionally choked on a CD and suddenly couldn't read it. Made for a fun night :)

your show was great by the way! I was working late so I got to listen on my way home.

Lisa B. said...

Alicia, I know we had that cd--I heard someone play it two weeks ago and I remember seeing it before!

Sarah--thanks for listening! Bummer on the cd players!

lisa said...

Not to mention that CD1 is The Slowest Cd Player Ever Made. Poor Sarah had to field another demanding caller at the very beginning of her show who wanted to know the name of/hear a song that he had heard yesterday/this evening. The guy before me had to contend with a class of five trainees invading his show (not ideal during divaville, when the songs are short; even less ideal when he's trying to do an all-vinyl set at the same time). Me, I just had to field a very brief call from a stoned guy who wanted to hear "a good song" from the Dead Kennedys.

it was quite a day at the station yesterday, i guess.

Lisa B. said...

Yikes! It all makes my show sound like it was fairly tame.

I swear sometimes I'm afraid to answer the phone during my show. One time I got a call during a world show from a guy who wanted to hear "La Bamba." I asked what version--Richie Valens, Los Lobos, Lila Downs ...? He said "No, none of those." So I asked whose version, and he said he didn't know. He said it was on a cd called "La Bamba." So I asked who put out the cd, and he said he didn't know. Then he said something like "Just go get the cd that says "La Bamba" and I tried to explain that I had to know what artist. Finally he said "I'm holding it in my hands right now and I can tell you that it says "La Bamba" really big across the front. You can't miss it." I really wanted to say "If you're holding the cd why don't you just stick it in the cd player and play the goddamn song yourself, fuckhead, and stop bothering me?" Instead I assured him that I would do my best to find the cd and play his request, and thanked him for calling.

I rarely actually ask for requests on my show because I'm afraid, very afraid ...