Thursday, March 31, 2005

The education of Mr. Gomez

My big boy dog had an evaluation for beginner agility class last night. He passed with flying colors (the requirements were a sit, a down, a down with 15-second stay, a restrained recall--i.e. coming when called--and a trick or two), so at age 6 he's going to start agility classes. At one time we had taken him to flyball classes and he did fairly well, but his owner, Mr. Pants, didn't care for flyball and didn't want me taking his dog away from him all the time for practice and competition. So the girls--Lucy and I--go to flyball and agility while the boys stay home or go sailing. I'm still forbidden from taking Gomey away for a weekend, but Mr. Pants has agreed that getting out and taking classes will be good for the boy. I imagine that Mr. Pants may agree to letting Gomey attend an occasional local "Show & Go" since it would only take up an afternoon (and I want to be able to show off to Mr. Pants how good Gomey is ... once he gets good, that is!) I'm really excited about this, not just because I love training dogs, but because I think it will be fun for Mr. G as well. It's actually not that hard to teach old dogs new tricks, and it's very good for them.

But the first step is Beginner 1 agility, which will be Wednesday evenings from 6:30 to 7:30. This will represent a bit of a scheduling issue for 3 of the class's 6 weeks, because I have a radio show from 8-10 pm, and I don't believe I can make it from the training facility to the radio station (with a dog-dropping stop at home first) in half an hour. The beginner 1 class is only on Wednesdays, but since it's only 6 weeks, I think I can manage. Ideally I'd love to find someone willing to do just half an hour of my show, but it's not likely because a half hour of DJing goes by really quickly, and no one will want to trek up to the station just for that. I could leave class early on the 3 days it intersects with radio, but I'd hate to miss anything. So I may have to get subs and miss a little radio. I don't like that idea because I have a lot of fun doing my show, but it may be the best fix for this temporary situation. Any WXDU-type readers who have a good idea should feel free to shout it out ...

In other news, I have a crummy headache. I guess that's a oxymoron, because I can't a imagine a headache that's not crummy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lizzie just turned eight and has that displaysia (which hasn't slowed her down any). I'd have to teach her "down" but she's smart and can learn it.

Think she's a prospect?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
wordnerdy said...

i thought of you last night when i was idly flipping through various tv channel and came across bravo's new show (show-dog moms and dads). one of the featured people is training her son to handle their dog in agility thingies. anyway, it was pretty cool to see the behind-the-scenes of the stuff you do w/ lucy!

wordnerdy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa B. said...

She's most definitely a prospect! Mr. Gomez has hip dysplasia. If he were to compete I would enter him in a "veterans" class, which allows for lower jump heights. But I'm not going to compete with him, and at a "show & go" I can jump him at any height I want.

I can teach Lizzie a "down" in 10 minutes or less! Then it only takes a few practice sessions to add a 15-second stay on to that. Border collies love to learn stuff.

BTW, there are always way more women that men involved in agility. Some of them are even single ...

Lisa B. said...

Hey wordnerdy--did they make the dog people look like freaks or normal people. Not that some aren't total freaks, but most of the flyball and agility people are relatively normal (except for the AKC types--they often have great big sticks up their asses. I hate the AKC.)

Sarah said...

Could you ...

a) convince Santa Salsera to stay late for those 3 shows?

b) bring Gomey with you? The station is pretty gross but if he's well behaved you could probably keep him from getting into biohazards like the recycling bin.

c) meet Mr. Pants at the station for dog transfer?

wordnerdy said...

although some of the people on the show are depicted as slightly freakish (the gaudy, weird woman getting her dog manually masturbated to inseminate their other dog), the agility people seemed pretty normal. the kid was sort of a sore loser (but he's a kid, so that's not unusual), but the mom didn't seem too overbearing or anything.

my favorite was the gay couple who put all sorts of crazy outfits on their dogs, and who started to cry when their trainer was trying to get their chihuahua (one of their many chihuahuas) to walk with a leash. they were all "we have to get a new trainer!" like putting a dog on a leash is the cruelest thing in the world.

so yeah--the agility people were pretty stellar in comparison.