Tuesday, March 29, 2005

I'm part of the problem ...

I've been riding a Triangle Transit Authority vanpool to work for more than three years now, but lately I've been thinking of quitting so I can take advantage of our "flex-time." I feel like crap about it though, because van membership has dropped recently, which pushes up the cost for the remaining members. So if I quit everyone else will have to pay still more. But If I stay, I will continue to be miserable about not getting home until almost 6 pm every day, wasting away valuable daylight hours for this underpaying, stupid, gut-wrenchingly boring and too-far-from-my-house job. If I don't ride the van, I can get to work at 7:30, take a half-hour lunch, and leave at 4:00, which would get me home at about 4:45 (assuming there are no wrecks or other traffic problems). Am I a horrible person for quitting the van--a small collective attempt at reducing traffic, emissions and reliance on petroleum--just because I would like to enjoy an extra hour or so of each day? It adds up to about 11 days of each year that I would wrench free from the gaping, time-eating maw of work/commute.

I wish they would hurry up and build the damn train system here. The thing I miss most about living in Chicago is being able to take the el, or a bus, or an el/bus combination, pretty much anywhere I needed to go. Of course, the train system they build here will be nowhere near as good as the el because they will inevitably fuck it up from the get-go by short-changing it because it's not popular among the fatass blowhards around here who insist it's their gawd-given right to drive a huge SUV.

Anyway, if they ever do build the train, I'll be able to to be to ditch the car AND work my desired schedule. But maybe by then I will have found a job in Durham--surely there is an underpaying, stupid and gut-wrenchingly boring job that I don't have to drive 35 minutes to get to.

6 comments:

B. W. Ventril said...

And it's not just about work. Viable public transport is integral to life as a drinker. As it stands you can either drive drunk (bad idea), only have two drinks (fine while you're drinking them, but only good to a point), not drink at all (oh, come on!) or get drunk with someone not as drunk as you willing to drive you home. In London I could happily have six pints and stagger onto the tube or, failing that, a night bus. Night buses are the absolute shit. Oh how I miss them.

As for work, I say drive (if you don't mind the gas prices). You can't be blamed if you live in an area where taking public transport is completely unviable.

la1itree said...

Man, I would LOVE to ride the train to work. I love trains. I ride the TTA bus, which is so much better than driving because traffic gives me headaches and I get to read on the bus or just space out and stare at the woods.

Hey, we should get a cup of coffee at Ooh La Latte (or wherever) or something this week/weekend, seeing as how we both live in Durham.

Lisa B. said...

Coffee at Ooh La would be wonderful! Thursday evening or Saturday after 3 pm (I'm doing the world music show on WXDU from 1-3), or Sunday efternoon sometime would all work for me.

I could take the bus to work, but it would end up taking me about an hour and a quarter each way, so I've never done it. I had a hard time reading on the van, so I just listened to my iPod.

B.W. V., you're absolutely right about mass transit and drinkers. But the train won't really help us much in that respect ... there should be a Duke/Gregson trolley that runs right by the Federal and Jo & Joe's.

Lisa B. said...

Ooh, wait ... there's an all-DJ WXDU meeting on Sunday, so scratch that day ...

B. W. Ventril said...

How about a Duke/Gregson monorail?

la1itree said...

Cool, shall we do Thursday evening? I'll email you.