Monday, March 21, 2005

It's Pain In The Ass Day here at CBOP ...

I'm busy. Too busy to find a better blog-maker than Blogger (i.e. Bogger). But I can't stand the thought of trying to use Blogger because it's been such a gawdawful excruciatingly slow and unreliable pain-in-the ass lately (although it seems fine today). Over the weekend I wanted to write an entry but I just didn't feel like waiting for an hour to get to my "dashboard." So maybe I'll be boring and not blog much because it's gone from being a fun activity to being a source of stress after Blogger started sucking so horribly.

On a related note, Yahoo bought Flickr, which means that another of my favorite things just might become a big pain in the ass, too. (They swear it won't because Yahoo is committed to the same values as Flickr blah blah blah blah. Gosh, I've never heard that before ... )

Also, today is Day In the Life Of day on Flickr, which means that a bunch of folks are going to document their lives in photographs. I did it back in December and I had planned to do it today, but that was back before I broke the lcd screen on my camera. Now it's a raggedy-ass piece of shit and I can't change any settings or see my battery staus or review photos or even keep track of how many photos I've taken ... so taking pictures is just not as much fun as it was with a non-raggedy-ass-piece-of-shit camera. I know, I should just buy a new camera but I'm hemming and hawing over how much of an upgrade I really need and whatnot. On the one hand, taking pictures gives me such joy that I should feel justified in spending whatever I need to get the camera I want. And since what I really want is just another point-and-shoot, I'm not even talking about top-of-the line prices. But on the other hand I feel I should be thrifty in everything I do and I know for a fact that the photographer is much more important than the camera (I've seen plenty of gawdawful boring shit pseudo art crap photos taken with top-of-the-line cameras.) So I'm poring over prices and specs and whatnot. The only thing I've really decided for sure is that I'm getting another Sony Cybershot because I really liked my previous one and I've already got an investment in Memory Sticks. But anyway, I think the point I may have been trying to make is that the "Day In the Life Of" thing may not be that much fun to do today, and in fact it may be a bit of a pain in the ass, just like everything else. Plus I haven't even finished posting my Ecuador pix yet ..

Anyway, it doesn't matter so much because I've got lots of stupid work to do, which is also a pain in the ass. Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

lisa said...

blogs: livejournal is free, but it might be hard to post your flickr badge to your livejournal. typepad is $5/month for the cheapest setup, and i think you get more flexibility in the template. those seem to be the most-used alternatives to blogger at the moment.

flickr: don't worry about it until it starts to suck. which may be never.

camera: are the optics and light handling basically the same across the entire cybershot line? if so, it's just a matter of the features you will want and use. in all likelihood, most of the features are just junk you don't need. i say go for the middle to low end, unless there's a killer feature in a high-end model that you know you will want.

Lisa B. said...

Thanks--Maybe typepad. Or maybe I'll pick back up on my experiments with Pivot (but the problem is not having time!) Or maybe I'll give Blogger a few more weeks--they were apparently installing all kinds of new stuff last week, which may explain some of the issues.

The funny thing about Flickr is that if they hadn't gotten bought out they probably would have started to suck eventually because you can only scale so big without a major shot of funding. I just remember when my e-mail groups all went to Yahoo ...

The thing about the cameras is that Sony's latest and greatest subcompact point & shoot (the DSC-P200) has vastly improved optics and I've seem image-quality comparisons with mine and several near it, and the new one is much better at contrast, low-light shooting and macro, the three little complaints I had about mine. Plus it's getting good reviews from independendent digi-cam sites. So it's making me want it ...

la1itree said...

I have an LJ, and I suppose it would be a bit of a pain to post your Flickr badge, but not impossible. The major upside to LJ is the community features: if lots of your friends have LJs too, it can be a nice way to keep in touch with them. But, if not many people you know have 'em it's sorta less ideal.

TypePad is great, and if you're willing to pay, it's the best way to go. Otherwise I'd be happy to help you install MovableType!

B. W. Ventril said...

I know I'm repeating myself here, and I'm a hypocrite because I don't use either of these any more, but:

1) Wordpress is way better than Movable Type!

2) Hosting can be had for $3 a month (at least that's what I paid Bloghosts before they folded, and I found a couple of much more reputable hosts that were just as cheap when searching for a possible replacement. And I think they'll install the blogging software for you).

Damn, I should go back to Wordpress too... But until I start my new job I really need that $3.