Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Peace dude ...

I went to Peace Camera (formerly Southeastern in Raleigh) today during lunch. I just figured maybe I should consider buying from my locally owned camera store instead of online even if the price would be a little bit higher, so I went to see what they had. When I said I was interested in another Sony, Camera Dude said they didn't sell them. Actually he said they "refused" to sell Sonys, because Sony gave bad service. Well then, I said, supposing I were to switch brands? He aske how much I was interested in paying. I hate that question, because of course the answer is "as little as possible," But I said $300 even though I could have gone higher. His sugestion was the Fuji Finepix E510, which was conveniently priced at $299. (Their prices are about $50 higher than online. $50 could get me a new memory card ...)

One advantage of the Fuji if I were to switch brands (and it also applies to Olympus), is that I could borrow Mr. Pants' XD RAM cards, seeing as how my memory sticks would this be useless. The Fuji also takes AA rechargeable batteries, as does my current Sony (but not the DSC-P200, which seems to be my front-runner in the replacent race). But one of the things I love about my Sony is that I can take movies with sound that are only limited in length by my available storage space (same deal on the P200). The Fuji, however, is limited to one or three-minute movie clips (three minutes on the lower resolution setting). When I mentioned this to Camera Dude, he said (rather condescendingly) "Oh most of them don't offer unlimited movie length because it's such a drain on the battery." Well if I was interested in saving battery life I guess I would just leave the fucking camera turned off all the time, now wouldn't I? Or not even bother to buy one in the first place. But I really want to be able to shoot movies. (I have a couple of funny clips I should post on my web space one of these days, but I should probably bust 'em down a bit so they're not so huge).

So I'm still leaning toward the Sony.

In other news, Blogger has been positively crackling fast today. maybe I don't need to switch after all ...

And even though I was on last week, I'll be on the radio again tonight. Jason and I arranged a skip/switch thingie to accomodate his schedule. So don't tune in to 88.7 FM (local) or wxdu.org from 8-10 pm. I'm hoping this week's show will be better than last week's--I was tired and uninspired.

4 comments:

wordnerdy said...

there's a southeastern camera store right by where i live in carrboro--it's where i got my camera. i don't recall the prices being any higher than they were online, but i can't remember whether or not they had any sonys. anyway, i guess it's worth checking out if you're in carrboro any time soon (or i can go on a scouting mission for you--it's only a two-minute walk from my apartment).

christa said...

the shop in carrboro is MUCH better than the one in raleigh... it's managed by an old roommate of mine. he's the sweetest guy on the face of the earth (his name is chris), and he will totally do you right. call him to chat: 933-7757. tell him i sentcha. ;-)

Lisa B. said...

maybe I'll give him a call ... I'm still sold on the Sony, so I should find out if the carry them.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure youve probably found your camera by now but, Southeastern Camera is BACK in Raleigh now!! WOO HOO. They have a brand new store at the corner of Witaker Mill and Atlantic Ave. The staff there is very friendly and they even have a huge studio for rent!