Monday, April 04, 2005

Ow, my ass ...

It's weekend roundup time! I'll tell you all the mundane details about my weekend just because it's my blog and I can write whatever I want in it. If Blogger doesn't eat the post, that is.

Friday night I should have gone to the Duke Coffeehouse to see Eyes to Space, Audubon Park and the always-thrilling Jett Rink. But Mr. Pants had decided to go visit his boat to see if it was still afloat, and I just didn't feel like going out by myself. Besides, I was back to obsessing about cameras, so I decided to go to Circuit City and play with all the demo models. It was a wild and crazy Friday night, let me tell you. Woo hoo! I'm still torn between the same two cameras, though ...

Saturday I went to opening day of the Durham Farmers Market. I bought cheese bread and tomatoes. They were good. Then I did my radio show. Then we went to see Downfall at the Carolina. Good movie. The New York Times criticized it for being a bit morally ambiguous and letting some of Hitler's followers "off the hook" by not portraying them all as hateable, single-minded zealots, but I read the opposite into it: it illustrated very well the fallacy in thinking "it couldn't happen here." I was seeing people very much like ones I run into on a daily basis here in the US, working fervently to defend what they felt was "right," truly horrid as it may have been. Or people, like Hitler's secretary Traudl Junge, who don't bother to learn too much about what is actually happening all around them who are just doing their jobs because they don't want to be disloyal. They reminded me of some of the otherwise "nice" people around here who occasionally voice heinous political views or let Fox News for their opinions for them because it's just easier that way. And whenever Hitler (played by Bruno Gans) got all irrational and/or paranoid, I couldn't help but think of Richard Nixon. By the way, did you know that Hitler was a vegetarian? Remember that next time someone tries to use their dietary choices as proof that they are holier than thou ...

Sunday I worked my ass off. I'm trying to work off Mr. Gomez's agility class tuition. I already have some credit for other work I've done, but I need more so I volunteerd to remove the heavy duty plastic that was used to "winterize" the facility's covered arena. It was put up correctly--anchored with wooden slats that were securely screwed into the roof and posts of the arena. Very securely screwed in. So all day (with a 2-hour break to attend the WXDU mandatory all-dj meeting) I climbed up a ladder, pulled out a screw with the drill, climbed down the ladder, moved the ladder, climbed up the ladder, pulled out a screw with the drill ... and so on. Climbing a ladder uses ass muscles that one does not often use for other things. My ass now aches.

1 comment:

Gene said...

Oooh! Great find on the vegetarianism. I'm so going to use that, and goodwin-ize every discussion I'll ever have on the topic. Yay!