Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Caketastic ...


KATAMARI DAMACY CAKE!!!!
Originally uploaded by Rakka.

Rakka has made me want to make a cool cake. Her Katamari Damacy cake is so cool, it's made me wonder if making crazy cakes is as much fun as it looks ... plus Mr. Pants has a birthday coming up, and maybe he'd like a cake ...

Yesterday I checked out some books from the library on cake decorating. Two are by this Collette person, and it's sort of scared me off the idea because she is obviously extremely anal retentive and I'm not. Plus, I discovered that fondant, the smooth covering that you see on some of the coolest "art" cakes, is not vegetarian because it contains gelatin. I really wanted to make a fondant-covered cake. Anyone know of a vegetarian fondant recipe?

5 comments:

r4kk4 said...

wow! thanks! you weren't kidding about blogging the cake! :D!

i haven't run across any veggie fondant so far. but i'm thinking that it can't be that difficult to make.

let me look around and get back to you. i've been dying to work with the stuff too!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea fondant had gelatin in it, but now that I read that, it makes sense. There's this: http://www.baking911.com/_disc10/0000032c.htm and here's a chocolate covered cherry recipe that involves fondant that you might be able to alter to suit your needs: http://vegweb.com/recipes/events/4763.shtml. If you make a cake, I hope you post pictures!

-frm

georg said...

more 911 on fondant (sounds rather labor intensive) http://www.baking911.com/recipes/cakes/fondant_rolled.htm
and here's some info on "gelatine"
http://www.ivu.org/faq/gelatine.html

it's odd that fondant has become THE thing for fancy cake decorating. because while, yes, you can use it to create some amazing looking cakes, it doesn't actually taste very good. okay, so maybe style winning over substance isn't really all that unusual...

lisa said...

i think there's a fondant recipe in my favorite vegetarian cookbook, but i seem to recall that it is very labor-intensive.

you can get a really smooth look to buttercream if you dip a palette knife in water and run it lightly over the icing. there's kind of a knack to this.

also, a proper icing bag and tips can help you do totally amazing things with buttercream-- shapes and textures. proper cake decorating food coloring-- which is a very concentrated paste-- is also needed. you add it in tiny amounts with a toothpick and it won't water down your icing, plus gives very intense color.

i took a cake decorating class a million years ago, it was totally fun. i can see if my friend is still running classes if you're interested.

Lisa B. said...

I did in fact find a few vegetarian fondant recipes after writing this. And you're right, George, other icings taste much better. One of my books has a pictorial thing about getting buttercream smooth, so maybe I'll try that. I do love the look of fondant, and the cool things you can do with it. Yes, Lisa, I'd be interested in a class and yes frm, I will most definitely take pictures.

My latest idea is a Death Star cake ...