Thursday, May 12, 2005

Maybe I'll post something interesting tomorrow ...

I just finished up this session of agility classes, which means I have two weeks of free weeknight evenings until the next session starts. Actually, the next session shouldn't be so bad because I'll have all the classes I'm taking and teaching on two nights instead of three. Mr. Gomez passed his Beginner 1 agility class with flying colors, so we'll be doing Beginner 2 next session, and I'll be the instructor's assistant for Beginner 1, which meets right before it. Then if we have enough people signing up for flyball, I'll teach that on the same nights as my handling skills class with Lucy. Having three nights tied up with agility was making me a bit tired.

Lucy and I have a flyball tournament this weekend in Florence SC, but my energy level is a bit low so I'm not really excited about it. Not to mention that Lucy is a lot better at agility than flyball, so I don't get as excited about flyball as I used to. Plus my mom will be meeting me at the tournament and staying over with me, so I'm afraid I will feel like I need to keep her entertained. Maybe I'll see if she wants to be what we call a "ball shagger" (a term that is very entertaining to our counterparts in the UK.) We use that term to describe the person who stands at the end of the racing lane and picks up the tennis balls as the dogs spit them out so that nobody breaks a leg (it's happened--to the humans, not the dogs).

But I wanted to say a word or two about the book I just finished (and thanks to Alicia for bringing it to my attention): All In My Head: An Epic Quest to Cure an Unrelenting, Totally Unreasonable, and Only Slightly Enlightening Headache by Paula Kamen. I was drawn to the book because I'm a migraine girl--although they've tapered off a bit over the past 5 years, I can still usually expect one or two a month. I used to get several weekly, and for years when I'd mention them to my doctor, he or she would just change the subject or tell me I needed to work on lowering my stress levels (at that time the most stressful thing in my life was the constant nagging fear that I was going to get a migraine). Anyway, when I finally found a doctor who suggested I try medication it was like getting a new life, where I didn't live in fear of my headaches. (I take Midrin, which Kamen didn't like because the sedative knocked her out. It did the trick for me, though--I didn't find the sedative effect overpowering at all. It's rather pleasant, although paradoxically it gives me insomnia.)

Anyway, about the book: It's more than just a personal memoir of Kamen's headache journey--she's a journalist, so she's also done research and interviews on the subject. I think it's a good overview on the history and current state of chronic pain treatment. I probably don't have to recommend this to anyone who gets headaches because you're probably ordering it right now (or placing a hold on it at your local library like I did). But I definitely think that anyone who has family friends or coworkers who suffer from chronic pain (or fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue--she discusses those, too) should read it, because it may give you a better understanding of a situation that's hard to fathom if you haven't experienced it.

OK, bedtime. If I stay up too late I risk getting a headache ...

1 comment:

wordnerdy said...

i thought this post was pretty interesting . . . yay for local libraries!