Monday, June 06, 2005

Amazing ....

So last night at WXDU music staff meeting I picked up the new Paul Anka CD Rock Swings and I just now popped in into my computer, thinking I would at least get a chuckle out of it. But listening to the first track, his cover of Bon Jovi's "It's my Life," I'm pretty astounded at how well it works as a swing tune. I never cared at all for the original, and I figured Paul Anka would just cheese it up and make it funny, but it sounds as if it was written to be a swing tune. My co-workers are grooving on it, too ....

UPDATE: Van Halen's "Jump" and Nirvana's "Smells like Teen Spirit really work, too. Spandau Ballet's "True" doesn't fare too poorly either. "Blackhole Sun" sucks just as badly as the original, and the Anka treatment makes "Lovecats" sound rather anemic. Lionel Ritchie's "Hello" ... yecchh. But that song was just wrong, wrong, wrong to begin with. At least Anka didn't try to cover "Total Eclipse of The Heart" ...

2 comments:

wordnerdy said...

i was very moved by the dan band's cover of "total eclipse of the heart" on bravo last night.

christa said...

i just heard "smells like teen spirit", and will definitely be playing it on "divaville". :-)