Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Hot tamales!

Via a comment chez Rakka, I visited this blog, where I learned about Super Target tamales. Yum! They're even vegetarian. I love tamales. I've tried making them myself but I can't seem to get the masa right. My tamales taste good, but they are too dense. El Cuscatleco, our lovely local Salvadoran/mexican restaurant, has excellent tamales but they don't have a vegetarian version. So even since I quit the meat thing I've been missing them. Among their vegetarian selections is a tamal de maiz dulce, but it's sweet, much like the humas de choclos I had in Chile (and which I didn't like much). So I'm definitely going to do a little shopping at Target soon.

How appropriate: I'm thinking about food and today is National Hunger Awareness Day. Well, I think about food most days. But today, I bought some food at the farmer's Market in honot of National Hunger Awareness Day. String beans, squash, strawberries and blueberries. I was at the Farmer's Market because my place of employment sponsored a thing called "The Great Potato Drop," where two dump truck loads of donated sweet potatoes were bagged for distribution to poor folks by hot and sweaty volunteers like me. I only went because it was something different to do--I get sick of being in the office all the time. It was miserable--hot, muggy and messy. I'm glad it only happens once a year.

3 comments:

andrew said...

I wonder about the use of the word 'hunger'. Yesterday CBC radio news was describing how george and tony were, between bouts of mutual butt sniffing, hammering out a deal "to help hungry people in the horn of Africa".

It sounded like a news report for five year olds. "Hungry people" just doesn't cut it. There i weas driving Heidi to work, and it was pre-breakfast so i was technically a hungry person. That doesn't mean my plight could be equated with some poor sod in Eritrea who hasn't eaten for days.

I think 'starving' is more apt. Even when we talk about people in the west who don't have enough money to eat properly, i think of them as different to me being hungry. For me hunger is somethingI can alleviate whenever i want; for them it is a long and seemingly endless pain. If you are hungry and you don't know when it will end or how you will afford to end it, then you are starving.

Even better, 'starved' as most of these people are, realistically, being deprived of food by others. Namely, those of us who have too much.

Lisa B. said...

I used to work with a guy from Nigeria, and he would get really irate it anyone ever said "I'm starving, let's go get some lunch." He'd go into a lecture about how we had no idea what it was like to be starving. Of course he was from a very wealthy family and probably had never starved before, either ....

Brian W. said...

let me know how you like the tamales...my favorite are from new mexico, and while they do mail order, it isn't quite as convenient as target.

brian