Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Piece of cake ...


Periodic Table of Cupcakes
Originally uploaded by Cake Fun.

It's almost Mr. Pants birthday and I don't believe I'm going to get it together enough to make him a cake. The house painting project plus my regular dog-related activities have diverted my attention from the quest to bake something cool and fun. Add to that the fact that all I feel like doing when I have any free time is read--I just read two really great books in the last week: Dry by Augusten Burroughs (He's up with John Waters and David Sedaris on my list of People I Might Actually Enjoy Meeting ... why is it I only have gay men on that list?) and Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl (what the hell, I'll put her on that list, too).

So I'm thinking that perhaps I'll make some cupcakes instead. Not because I want to jump on a trend, but I have a cupcake pan, while I don't have any cake pans. part of what has kept me from baking a cake is that I have nothing to bake it in, and I don't feel like spending a lot of money on cake pans when for all I know I might make horrid cakes.



UPDATE: This is what happens when you put your mind on autopilot and don't check in once in a while: The Augustren Burroughs book I just read is Magical Thinking. I read Dry last year sometime. It was great, too.

2 comments:

lisa said...

should you ever wish to bake a cake, i have bundt, layer, and sheet cake pans that you are welcome to borrow (depending upon the type of cake).

Lia said...

I also have cake pans. You could really impress w/a two-layer cake. I have two round cake pans -- all you would need would be your favorite boxed cake mix. (Or I have a couple "from scratch" recipes.)

Of course, I never met a cupcake I didn't like either.