Friday, July 22, 2005

More Harry ....

So after reading a re-reading the latest Harry Potter, I've got more questions, doubts, etc. (Anyone fancy sharing HP musings over beer ... say Saturday evening?) Anyway, I've never been enough of a "fan" of anything to go to any fan sites or forums on the internets, but today I did. I had to see what other people were thinking about certain things (oh, y'know, R.A.B., Severus Snape, yada yada yada ...) Anyway, I came across one very interesting theory (technically, what follows is a spoiler, but if you haven't read far enough it will actually mean nothing to you): Harry is a horcrux. Now I've already thought about it and discarded it, for reasons I'll be happy to explain over beer. But I thought it would make a great T-shirt slogan nonetheless.

UPDATE: Wow, some these Harry Potter fans could kick some Trekkie ass when it comes to being obsessed.

Also, I believe that not knowing spelling (even words you just read repeatedly in a Harry Potter book) or elementary sentence structure is a prerequisite to posting in a fan forum.

6 comments:

georg said...

I think that theory captures much of the (for lack of a better word) stupidity of much lit crit. Namely its tendency to disappear so far up its own thesis as to produce ideas that, while initially plausible-seeming, are completely nuts. And yet there's no way to actually and finally disprove them (texts being what they are, after all).
So, yeah, I might be up for some theory slinging on Sat. Location?

wordnerdy said...

i HATE that theory! it makes no sense at all and i can't figure out why so many people are gung-ho about it. we already know what caused the scar--it's not a friggin' horcrux!

Lisa B. said...

On the horcrux theory-- it took me just 2 minutes of thinking to come up with several reasons why it was dumb, but they were very fun 2 minutes! But I do like saying "harry is a Horcrux." In fact, make me mad and I'll call you a horcrux!

As for location ... a laid-back place, not so noisy that you can't have a good conversation (places that are too noisy make me sleepy, believe it or not.) My mind is drawing a blank ...

leff said...

That sounds like a fun party you're planning. Too bad I'm so far away.

lisa said...

i might have to lay aside my limitations on what i do and don't want to discuss about the book (it's pretty much too late and pointless to have those limitations anyway) and join y'all.

Lisa B. said...

Yes, Lisa, come out. I think Driade is the latest suggestion from Georg.

Leff, start driving now and y'all can be her by tomorrow night!