Thursday, July 14, 2005

Of sadness and joy ...

A guy I work with, whom I liked very much, died last night. His wife tried to wake him up this morning only to discover that he was in The Big Sleep. He was only 51 or 52; they don't know what killed him yet but my guess is heart attack. The last time I saw him alive he was standing outside of my boss's office, and I pretended I was going to punch his arm really hard as I walked by. He was such a good sport--I could call him a pain in the ass (which was true) and he would laugh and agree and call me a pain in the ass (which is true). I didn't always see him every day, so today just feels like one of the days when our paths didn't intersect. Everyone seems to be dealing with it by not talking about him. If we did one of us (me) would probably start crying. Oops, I'm getting misty right this minute ...

To divert my attention from this source of sadness, I've paid a few visits to a newfound source of joy: The Best Of Craigslist*. (Maybe I'm a loser and the last netizen to have discoverd this source of intentional and unintentional humor? I dunno ...) Oh the poetry of To My Farty Boss And His Bowels, This is a True Story Swear to God-36 and For Chrissakes, Can I Eat a F#%*ing Taco in Peace?. It really made me feel better.


*I must access it through a local list, such as the Washington, DC, list, because going through the main one makes most of the links verboten by the surf nazi software. Why? Because people talk about sex and naughty body parts, I guess.

2 comments:

andrew said...

That is very sad news. I gues the only solace is that if he died in his sleep he didn't suffer any. The worst thing about these kinds of death is that his wife is not going to say goodbye. A good reason to tell the ones we love that we love them every day.

christa said...

condolences, lisa.
one of ray's co-workers died a couple of weeks ago and hit him really hard.