Monday, July 11, 2005

Radio week

So a month or two ago I was asked to host a "Jazz Patrol" show on WXDU (Mondays 6-8 pm, different DJ every time.) I tried to beg off, calling myself a "jazz philistine." (The problem is that "jazz" is such a broad genre, and it encompasses cheesy, syrupy, overproduced marshmallow-fluff music and skronky annoying crap along with the decent stuff, so it's just easier to say "I don't know anything about jazz" that to go on a rant about how much there is to hate about so much of what gets called "jazz.") But she was desperate, so I offered to do a show of world music that's kinda jazzy, an idea she seemed to like. She offered me some dates, I said "how about July 11?" and then I heard no confirmation. So I guess I'm on the air tonight from 6-8 pm eastern, 88.7 if you're local, wxdu.org if your not. I have not planned out my show, but I can think of a bunch of stuff sitting on the world music shelves at the station that should work. So tune in, maybe, if you feel like it.

Also, Mr. Gomez has finished his Beginner 2 agility course, so I'll be back to my regular show time, Wednesdays from 8-10 pm, and this Wednesday is my turn. Then to top it all all, it's also my turn again to to the Mondo Mundo show this Saturday. (I'm trying to give that one away to a fellow dj who was interested in doing a Tex-Mex show.)

6 comments:

georg said...

ahh... one of those weeks of Too Much Radio(tm). Last time that happened to me I ended up doing 2 hours of Mondo Mundo in which I only played 10 songs. btw, there's a CD just added to playlist by a group called Speak In Tones that's totally in the world/jazz fusion zone.

Anonymous said...

Play some cuban stuff and maybe a little Brazilian. What the hell let's not forget Trinidad. Will we actually be able to hear the show, or a bunch of christians?

lisa said...

i can see some of the ethiopiques stuff fitting into jazz quite readily. you can just NEVER go wrong with that series, anyway.

also tons of fun, though not wrrrld, but definitely jazz, is raymond scott. we've got one cd of his stuff in the jazz section.

oh, OH! and hora zero by astor piazzola is a phenomenal record. i think we've got both vinyl and cd.

i can probably jump into that wrrrld shift for you if you can't give it away to the tex-mex person. i'll have to check my calendar.

Lisa B. said...

Thanks for all the suggestions, y'all!

And Lisa, if you can do the Mondo Mundo show I would be overjoyed, because in addtion to Too Much Radio (tm) I've also got Too Much Painting to do. I haven't heard back from Tex-Mex guy yet ...

andrew said...

Broadband is suppsed to be arrived in sleepy ol' bear river in the next week or two and then i will tune into the WXDU for certain - it will be so funny to hear your voice!

elsacapuntas said...

excellent job with the jazz patrol show. it was awesome!