Friday, July 08, 2005

So as a result of my surprise finish in the Salon playlist thingie, I'm going to get a $30 gift certificate to iTunes. I have not yet received this good thing, but I've already overcommitted it. If used to buy individual songs, the gift certificate will net me 30.3 songs; used to buy albums I can get three, assuming they are priced at the standard $9.99 iTunes price. I have my eyes on way more than 30 individual songs or three albums, how do I narrow it down? It could take weeks for me to decide ...

I don't generally buy from iTunes (I've bought one album and one individual song in the past). Certain ethical arguments aside, I think it's a potential slippery slope, financially. I mean it's just too easy--listen to a sample, click click ... next thing you know you've spent a huge wad of money you could have used for food, rent, retirement or a cool vacation in Ecuador. I mean music is essential, but if you're like me and you have a history of accidentally spending too much money on stuff at the drop of a hat, you've got to practice draconian anti-spending self-discipline. So no iTunes for me! Unless of course someone gives me a gift certificate, in which case W00T!, whatever that means.

But back to the decision part of it. Should I get three albums or build myself a kickass 30-song playlist? Or maybe one or two albums and a 10-song playlist? Wow, I could blow almost the entire 30 bucks on various versions of the song "Perfidia" alone (I have an inexplicable love for that song ... ) Or I could get all music that begins with the letter M: Motown, mariachi, merengue, Menudo, Missy Elliot, Mel Tormé ...

Apparently I've got time, because Salon doesn't seem to be in a big hurry to actually give me the gift certificate.

In an unrelated matter, I have to try and remember to watch E! News Live tonight at 7 pm. I have a fascinated obsession with Scientology (in the same way that I'm fascinated by serial killers), and they are supposed to have in interview with Katie Holmes where she talks about her conversion to the cult that makes Mormons look normal.

4 comments:

christa said...

hey, thanks for that "itunes" link. interesting reading.

andrew said...

The thing with Scientology:
Okay, it is crazy - books with weird notions about aliens and humans, strange attitudes to medicine and science, cultish attitudes which encourage you to give them all your money.

Any more abnormal than christianity? Any less devisive or intolerant? Nah. Let's face it, if you sat most people down and described to them in every day terms what happens in the bible they would laugh at you. And yet...

And who would prefer as your president? bush, or L'il Joey Potter from Dawson's Creek? So they both have big ears but one is a homicidal, far right, religious nutcase (that's bush, in case you were wondering).

Lisa B. said...

Yep, all religions are wierd, but most of them don't require a lifetime outlay of somewhere between $400,000 and $1,000,000 before you are considered "saved." Oh sure, if you don't have the money and you want to continue, you can work for the church for less than minimum wage--and by all the accounts I've read that gig makes indentured servants look lucky because at least they were free to go at the end of their indenture. People who try to leave Scientology have been kidnapped and held--when my family stopped going to church, no one came after us. We didn't die because the Methodist Church held us in a hotel room and denied us medical care even when it became clear that we were dehydrated, starving and on the verge of death.

I am one hudred percent for the eventual demise of all religion and its replacement with a rational world. But I see Scientology as more like a rapacious (and profit oriented) serial killer. Or maybe a better anology is the difference between smoking pot and doing crystal meth--smoking pot may give you the stupids and be bad for your lungs in the long run, but crystal meth will fuck you up big time very quickly.

andrew said...

In some ways I know you are right. But then again, when you think about the numbers involved the all pervasive evil of the christian church beats scientology hands down. When you consider the historical phenomena allowed, encouraged or initiated by the christian religion, it pisses scientology into a cocked hat. Think of such cuddly initiatives as slavery, imperialism, subjugation of women, burning of witches, the Holocaust and you see that scientology has a spot of catching up to do.

On the other hand, I suppose getting it now when it only has a few million members is probably a wise idea. Otherwise it'll me like, i dunno, some kind of battlefield Earth.