Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Have a mint ...


pouffy mints
Originally uploaded by bunchofpants.

Now that I've read the latest Harry Potter twice, gone back and read the rest, and then read Half Blood Prince yet again, I'm feeling a bit lost ... How do I get back to Hogwarts? I bought a book of musings and ponderings by HP fans called The Plot Thickens: Harry Potter Investigated by Fans for Fans, but it's only semi-satisfying. There are some interesting essays (one of my favorites was written by a 13-year-old, who wondered whether JKR used the color pink to symbolize duplicity or hidden secrets. She makes some interesting points--good work for a kid).

I guess I need to get myself back to my regular reading routine, i.e. not Harry Potter, but it's hard to tear my head away from HP--it's that compelling. People who haven't reads HP are often mystified as to what could possibly interest adults in a childrens book, but then again I always wonder what motivated people to love Star Trek to the point that they'll dress up in bizarre costumes and travel around to conventions ... actually, Harry Potter has answered that for me. I've already wondered which character I'd dress up as if the need arose. I'm quite fond of Professor McGonagall, although I'd consider Nymphadora Tonks.

Meanwhile, anyone got a suggestion for a good book? I usually prefer non-fiction.

6 comments:

dickumbrage said...

i'd heartily recommend jeff chang's "can't stop, won't stop" is an excellent recent history of hip-hop. the book is strongest when contextualizing the music within the political, social, cultural, and economic climate where it took shape.

r4kk4 said...

if you need to stay in the hp headspace a little longer, try the chrestomanci series by diana wynne jones. my fave so far is "witch week".

also, she wrote "howl's moving castle" which is also quite nice.

and if you still want more kids books, the series of unfortunate events, while a bit formulaic by book two, is really quite good. or the artemis fowl series. but i've only read the first of that series.

Lisa B. said...

I read book of of the Lemony Snickett books and loved it, and then I read book 2 and hated it. So I don't think I'll read any more. maybe the Diana Wynne Jones books ...

wordnerdy said...

howl's moving castle is a GREAT book. i'd lend you my copy but someone else is borrowing it right now. :)

Chelle said...

I, too, am a serious HP fan - I reread all the books in June to get ready for the new release. Have you been to JK Rowlings website? It's fun. I read In the Path of an Avalanche after I finished Harry Potter. It is about an avalanche in the Canadian Rockies in the late 1990s. It was very well done - not maudlin at all. Now I'm lost... I can't find anything I want to read. Ah well - I haven't finished my Nat'l Geo yet this month.

Julie said...

What sort of non-fiction? I'm a non-fiction geek -- my interests tend to lean towards urban studies and economics.

Given that you're in my home state, I'll suggest two NC based books in case you haven't read them:


The Best of Enemies: Race and Redemption in the New South and Gastonia 1929.