Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I feel like crap

My kitty (Dr. Bombay, but we just call him Kitty) is dying. It's my fault, because I failed to recognize a potentially life-threatening illness (renal failure) soon enough to do something about it. But in truth, cats are very good at masking their symptoms--he would be the third cat I've had who died suddenly without giving me much warning. But I feel rotten because there were warning signs--I just didn't put them together into the realization that he was seriously ill until he really acted seriously ill. By that time it was obviously too late, and I had lost several days time when they may have been able to get Kitty's kidneys functioning again.

I think the biggest problem I had in realizing he was really ill was that he's only seven years old. My previous cats made it to 13 before they died. In fact, I keep looking for signs of illness from our older cat (Battlecat--she's at least 10, maybe older but Mark can't remember when he first got her). But she's fine--in fact she has seemed more chipper and sprightly than ever over the past few days, leading me to wonder if she's been sucking the lifeforce out of Kitty ... OK, I jest. But Kitty was the one I expected to have around for a while longer. If he's no better by the end of the day I think we're going to say goodbye ...

Damn I feel rotten.

6 comments:

Lance McCord said...

I'm really sorry to hear that. I have cats that are eight years old, and I haven't been looking for signs of fatal illness either. I don't think you need to think of this as your fault.

lisa said...

that is truly the sux0r.

christa said...

would you mind terribly sharing some of the warning signs? i know it's probably painful, given how crappy you feel, but perhaps it would help save other kittens.

Lisa B. said...

--Weight loss, which can be tricky if your cat is a little chubby (as kitty was) because by the time you notice they've dropped a lot of weight the problem may have been going on for a long time.

--Vomiting, which is really problematic because I've never had a cat who isn't spitting up something regularly. All of my friends who have cats have said the same thing--cats barf a lot. And if you have more than one cat you're never sure which one's doing the barfing unless you catch him in the act. So, again, by the time you notice that it's more regular or frequent than usual, the problem may be critical.

--Loss of appetite, but if your cat has progressed to the point where he's not even trying to eat anymore, the situation may be critical.

--Lethargy, malaise ... except that this can be hard to distinguish from "Litty's pretty laid-back." Sick cats often make themselves scarce, and the fact that kitty didn't run out and greet me when I came home Monday and Tuesday night really got me worrying.

Lisa B. said...

Oops, and I forgot to mention that drinking lots of water and peeing a lot are probably also signs, but our problem in recognizing this was that Kitty always drank and pee'd tons. We always remarked on that, but since he generally seemed health otherwise we didn't think it was anything to worry about. But maybe his kidneys have always been a little off, and it finally caught up with him.

amanda m said...

i feel rotten with you



this too shall pass

love, auntnanny