Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I'm sure there was a point in here somewhere

I'm usually a big fan of what some think of as "morgue humor," or jokes made in the midst of disaster and misfortune. But I'm not really feeling that way about all the unfortunate folks in Hurricane Katrina's wake. Not only are some people dead and others left with absolutely nothing, but life is just plain going to suck for almost everyone in the "huge" affected area for a long time. What the hell are all these people going to do? I feel crappy about it, honestly.

But I've gotta say, the one thing guaranteed to get me really misty is a photo of some bedraggled survivor clutching his or her little dog. I really identify with the folks clinging to their pooches. I saw one photo somewhere of a guy sitting out on the roof of his flooded house with his dog. I could imagine myself in that situation---the helicopter is hovering overhead and I'm saying "What? I can't take the dogs with me? OK, thanks, we'll just stay here, then ..." Through the course of Katrina I have often thought: "Are the dogs OK? Is someone saving the dogs?" When Hurricane Floyd came through North Carolina, many evacuees left behind their cats, dogs and livestock, some tethered in yards or confined in pens, barns or houses where they couldn't escape the floodwaters. Fortunately, many were rescued and either reunited with their families or adopted out to new homes. (Tons--literally--of hogs died, however, and I still get sad when I see some of the pictures of desperately swimming hogs.)

Anyway, the point is, I feel badly for the folks on the gulf coast. And their dogs, cats, piggies, horsies ...

4 comments:

elsacapuntas said...

I agree! There's a video clip at cnn.com right now, though, called "Horses to get help" that should make you feel a little better.

I also saw an adorable picture of a man wading through waist-deep water carrying a plastic bin with a soaked little dog in it, not his own, but just one he'd found on the way and rescued.

Lisa B. said...

I saw that photo too! (I think it was at the NY Times site). It made me happy--I liked the look on the guy's face--he seemed very proud of his improvised dog boat!

I like the video--thanks for the link!

jenn said...

Perhaps this is mentioned in one of the links you put up, but noahswish.org is a good group that has gone done there to help the animals.

Lisa B. said...

Thanks Jenn--I had heard of Noah's wish but I hadn't posted a link.