Thursday, August 25, 2005

Oh No ...

I don't like chain e-mails--you know, the ones where you're asked to send the thing on to 10 people, etc. My mom loves them. So now she's sent one I'll feel kind of crappy for ignoring: apparently my little grand-niece, who's somewhere around 5 or 6 years old (yes, I'm a crummy great-aunt and can't remember her exact age), is doing a little chain-mail project for school. I've been asked to participate. Here's the message:
Sounds like my Great Grandaughter has a school project and Mom is under the gun. A helpful hand would be appreciated. Mary

Sorry, guys, it's quick and for a kid's school project! (and you are the ones I thought might follow through) This is for a science fair project. If you could do this I would appreciate it! DON'T ASK, JUST PLAY! Copy and paste this letter into a new email (PLEASE do NOT hit "Forward"), then read the list of names. If your first name is on the list, put a star * next to it. If not, then add your first name (in alphabetical order, put no star.) Send it to ten people and send it
back to the person who sent it to you.

Put your name in the subject box! You'll see what happens - it's kind
of cool! Please keep this going. Don't MESS it up, please. (I edited out the list of names)

Well poop. I'd rather just tell the kid the results of this experiment: you end up annoying the heck out of a lot of people, many of who will decline to participate, especially as the degrees of separation increase between you and the eventual recipients. The chain will either die out or become an international pain-in the ass.

But it's my grand-niece. She's cute. I don't want to be the one who rains on her little e-mail parade. But my mother has already sent the e-mail to pretty much everyone who feels some sort of familial obligation to participate, which leaves me with a list of e-mail contacts who are completely unaware of the cuteness of my grand-niece. They will be annoyed with me. But, as long as I fulfill my end of the bargain and complete my link of the chain, I really don't care what the recipients do. They can break it and I have still done my part. So I'm soliciting volunteers--if you, dear reader, will consent to receive a chain e-mail with which you are at liberty to do with what you will, please let me know. Put "bunchofpants" together with "@gmail.com" and you will reach me. Pretty please with sugar on top?

UPDATE: So jenn h.'s comment (see comments) prompted me to e-mail my dear mom and ask if my niece specifically indicated that the "kid" mentioned in the e-mail was my grand-niece and sending her a link to the snopes pages on the topic. I think her reply was a little snippy, to paraphrase: "so don't do it then." I would like to gently make the point to her that chain e-mails are always stupid and a pain in the ass, but she will imterpret that as me being just a grouchy person who hates fun. I think she really enjoys chain e-mails and anything I say against them is evidence that I amd just a difficult person.

5 comments:

jenn h said...

Oddly, I've gotten that one a few times and apparently it's a fake according to Snopes.
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/school/names.asp

I think it's weird how this one gets passed around. I mean, if your grand-niece said to your mom, hey I have this project...?

Lisa B. said...

I think my niece must have sent the email ... perhaps my mother just assumed my grand-niece was the kid with the school project. It's exactly the kind of conclusion my mother would jump to. Thanks for bringing this up--I'm going to e-mail my mother right now and ask her!

andrew said...

I have two degrees and I don't understand any of this, so i am not sure elementary school kids could.

David said...

I just received this same email and a Google search brought up your blog, so I suppose it's a very clever way to generate some hits on your page ;-)

Congratulations, go to the top of the class and commisserations as I am now deleting the viral spam :-)

Lisa B. said...

It would have been clever if I had plannedit that way! Actually, my statcounter tells me tons of people are coming here because of that spam ... they must all be sooo disappointed ...