Friday, September 16, 2005

Hmmmm ... Lyme Disease, maybe?

Have you ever read a list of symptoms for a disease and become convinced you have it? I awoke at around 5 this morning absolutely certain that I must be suffering from Lyme Disease. I was indeed bitten by a tick on or around August 12, which was the day I went with my boss and a co-worker out into the rural wilds of NC to photograph crops and other bucolic scenery for work. After I removed the tick, there was a very red spot at the site of the bite, but it only grew to about a centimeter in diameter, never developed into the classic erythema migrans or "bull's-eye rash," and it went away after a week. But then about two weeks later I developed a horrible, inexplicable pain in my right pinky joint, which persists. I'm also very fatigued. I've felt a little more headachy than usual, but since I'm normally a very headache-prone person I'm not sure whether that symptom means much.

At any rate, my doctor's office opens in 15 minutes. Hopefully they will be able to diagnose me with hypochondria over the phone and that will be that. I carpooled today with Mr. Whig Hill so I can't get to their office today even if they demand it. But at least I'll know why I've been feeling like lukewarm death for the past week.

6 comments:

Lance McCord said...

I'll bet that if you throw in some symptoms of, say, cholera or bubonic plague they'll provide transportation.

elsacapuntas said...

Speaking of bubonic plague, i hope you haven't been feeding any cute stray mice lately:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/15/D8CKQJFO1.html

Lisa B. said...

I am now convinced I have bubonic plague ...

andrew said...

All that money they received that was meant for building levees and the bioterror lab couldn't even build a cage to hold three mice...

Anonymous said...

If they had been moslem mice things would have been different ...

Lisa B. said...

Crap. I accidentally just posted an anonymous comment to my own blog. How did that happen?