Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The potemkin nation ...

I sort of spent my weekend going about my life as if nothing out of the ordinary had been happening, which sort of felt weird and wrong. I want to write about the highs and lows of my agility trial weekend, but I'll get to it later. Friday night I had to get bottled water and a few other things, so Mr. Pants and I went to Target. Of course I couldn't help but think about people in New Orleans dying for want of a few bottles of water and here I am just bopping out to the store and casually picking up a whole case. Not that my going without would have saved anyone, but still the incongruity just struck me.

I keep imagining what a horrible feeling it must be to be starve, dehydrate, swelter and die in the country that you have been programmed from birth to believe is the richest, most-powerful nation in the whole world, the ... oh shit, I can't even remember what I'm supposed to think, it's been so long since I've actually thought it. Anyway, so you're thinking "Why hasn't the great and good government of this great and good country saved me yet? My baby is dying, old people are dying ...?" What a horrible way to discover what a load of bullshit the whole USA hype is. (Here, read this. Because I said, that's why. It's not going to kill you.)

But oh my god, Trent Lott's house was destroyed! The horror, the horror ...

Anyway, during our trip to Target on Friday, I kept looking around at everyone else wondering if they gave a shit. Mostly people just seemed to be doing what they always do, which is drive their SUVs at excessive rates of speed while shoveling fast food down their gullets. Mr. Pants mentioned to me a poll he saw in which 48% of the people surveyed said they were satisfied with the government's response to the disaster. Assuming no sampling errors, that means almost half of Americans didn't see a problem with letting thousands of people fester and die in the hot New Orleans sun. I believe this is why such a kerfuffle of indignant squawking was made about looters, because it gave people a convenient cover for not giving a shit. At work on Friday when I expressed my anger at the whole thing, one of my more odious co-workers said something to the effect of "them people's shootin' at everyone!" One Richard Gibbs, a dumb-fuck Missisippi cracker fine American, voiced the attitude more succinctly: "I say burn the bridges and let 'em all rot there."

Mr. Pants said that Jackie Chiles got it right when he said "This is America! You don't have to help anybody!" (Mr. Pants also called Condoleeza Rice a "contraption they built down in the basement." I know that didn't have anything to do with anything, but I thought it was funny ...)

Anyway, as usual I had a point here somewhere, so please let me know if you find it. I'm just pissed. Still. No, not pissed, motherfucking pissed. Goddammit.

Anyway, we did OK in our agility trial this weekend. Lucy now has the title "AD," which stands for Agility Dog. (She already had SJ and SSA).

3 comments:

Sarah said...

hey now -- I was really worried about Trent Lott's beach house.

michael said...

I must admit the communist rant did make a lot of sense to me ( maybe I'm turning into a pinko commie rat?!) that's probabaly why everybody hates America because at times like this they show there true colours.
Our jaws dropped when Bush got re-elected and they are dropping again when the richest nation on earth asks Indians and Pakistanis to send them food parcels! the whole world really has gone mad!

Lisa B. said...

Oh, Sarah, did I somehow imply that I wasn't actually mortified and sickened by Trent Lott's tragic lossGolly, don't know how that happened.

Michael, go ahead and embrace your inner pinko! Maybe India and Pakistan will airlift us out of here one of these days ...