Monday, December 05, 2005

... and your little dog, too

So we road-tripped to the agility trial over the weekend, and all went well except for the parts that didn't go so well. Lucy and I qualified in three of our seven runs over the weekend (You can see one here and another here.) I made some spectacularly dorky mistakes in almost every run (you can see a few of them in the videos I linked to), reminding me that even though I've made it to the Advanced level I still suck and I'm nowhere near ready for Masters-level competition. But the worst of all was when I face-planted on the course. Thankfully, Mr. Pants had taken Gomey for a hike at Chimney Rock, so he neither saw it nor caught it on video. It was during a gamblers run, and I had misjudged both my dog's speed going through a tunnel and my own trajectory in regard to the tunnel, so I was crossing the opening just as little Lucy was exiting, and I tripped right over her. Right when I was thinking "Fuck, I just face-planted" the gamble buzzer sounded, and I jumped up and said "Let's go!" to Lucy and tried to direct her through the gamble, but failed. So it's a really good thing I haven't made it to Masters yet, because if I had people would have actually been watching me ...

I ended up not freezing my ass off, though. Even though Saturday was damn cold, the trial was in an indoor horse arena, and there was plenty of crating room inside so we and our dogs could hang out in heated comfort and watch two rings of action between runs. This trial attracted some of the top competitors in the country, so I got to see that even the very best agility handlers screw up and fail to qualify sometimes. They just manage to do it in a much less dorky manner than I do.

2 comments:

elsacapuntas said...

woah! lucy is awesome! and so are you, ms. pants. what a pair!

Steve said...

Nice runs! Don't be too hard on yourself, you're almost there. Looks like you have the same "issues" I do: patience on Rear Crosses and Post/Pivot turns in the presence of obstacles. You are smooth and look comfortable out on course that is great. Looks like you've been doing this for years. It's good to see Lucy do the four jump closing sequence ahead of you on the second video - those flyball dogs know what to do when faced with jumps in a row!