Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I thought he was just a talking lion ...

When I was a kid I loved the whole "Chronicles of Narnia" set. C.S. Lewis underlying christian themes were pretty much lost on me. I didn't equate Aslan's rising from the dead with Jesus' resurrection (Aslan actually came back to life, whereas Jesus' body disappeared from his tomb never to be seen again and we're expected to believe that it's because he was ressurrected and not because some apostle dragged it away in the dead of night ...) I suppose if I went and read the whole series again as an adult I'd pick up on it all, but nonetheless, just like Sunday school, the message didn't "take." I'm a godless infidel without much faith in anything, and the Narnia books were just fascinating little fantasies of a world with talking animals.

So now Disney is coming out with the movie version of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, and I would love nothing more than to have it be a wonderful adaptation of the original, transporting me back to the Narnia I loved as a kid. But in my mind, the name "Disney" is a synonym for "heavy-handed saccharine dreck." Then I read in The Guardian that "unbelievers should keep a sickbag handy during Disney's new epic." Crap. Oh well, I'll just go see the evil Harry Potter movie again ...

No comments: