Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Is this going to be on the test?

Is it important that I know what "Web. 2.0" means? I see it everywhere, and I don't have a clue whether I should give a shit or not.

In other, unrelated news, I've been learning fab new Spanish words via Rimbombante. But it sort of annoys me that they ude the word "podcast" when each of their "casts" is only one minute long. Why bother loading the thing onto your pod and carrying it with you when you can pretty much have it all listened to in the time it takes to download? I suppose if you put about 30 them all together into a playlist then together they would equal a "podcast," but then why not just call them "audio files"? I know, I know, it's because "podcasts" are hip and today while audio files" are soooo 2004 ...

6 comments:

Groc said...

it means "hello mr CEO money man - sign us some blank cheques" -yup, it means dot com crash v2 in the making. Don't worry yourself about it.

leff said...

Yep. Buzz word to inspire venture capital.

But you could also say "flickr, 37signals (backpack), 43 things, gmail, etc". It's web sites that act more like progams than books-with-links. But it is buzz buzz buzz.

andrew said...

i like using it in sentences. "i like your shirt, it's so web2.0." "You are so not being web2.0. right now."

leff said...

Oh, I just happened across the definitive definition. It's here

Lisa B. said...

I will definitely try to use is in sentences now. Especially if there are venture capitalists around. That link did clear up the definition for me, leff! Thanks.

htrouser said...

As in, "Your Web 2.0 will be first against the wall when the revolution comes"?