Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Um, like, 'tis the season and shit ...

Once again I resume my quest to take the Christ out of Christmas, mostly by spelling it "x-mas." Food, twinkly lights, the scent of pine and shiny things are the reason for the season, goddammit. Joel Stein of the LA Times disagrees.

At any rate, thanks to Rummage Through The Crevices for pointing me toward something that's given me a megadose of the ol' holiday spirit: Santastic: Holiday Boots 4 Your Stockings. I think one of these tracks should get some airplay tonight ...

Which brings me to the semi-bi-weekly announcement you've all been waiting for: I will be jockeying the discs tonight, 8-10 pm eastern US, 88.7 if your near, wxdu.org if you're far. I think I may also find a place in the lineup for the Ghanaian postal workers thing that Rummage posted. Or maybe not. I never really know what I'm going to play until I push the button.

4 comments:

wordnerdy said...

wow, joel stein is funny, but i really disagree with his article--i strongly prefer when people say "happy holidays," because, dammit, there is more than one holiday and acknowledging that means acknowledging me! and christmas is a holiday too, so seriously, what's the problem?

after a few times, being wished a merry christmas gets old when you're not someone who celebrates it. it jsut makes you feel like an outsider, like everyone in the world celebrates it but you, and that's why people can just assume you do too.

sorry to rant in your comments--this is all a pet peeve of mine. :)

Lisa B. said...

I think he was being tongue-in-cheek and only taking that position to make some funny points. I'm sure he gets annoyed at constant merry Christmasing just like you do!

I'm going to make an effort to always say "Please enjoy the seasonal holiday of your choice!"

r4kk4 said...

i think you should just say "SHUT UP!" , cover your ears and run away from anyone that comes awasseling in your direction.

but that's just me being a crankypants about the holidays.

in good news, some megachurches are closing for xmas this year! so it looks like some christ has been knocked out of christmas! keep up the good work on your end! (i'll keep up the fight on my side of the country. although, it's much easier here...)

christa said...

"xmas" was THE WORD on the colbert report last night. funny stuff -- the program is repeated throughout the day today if you get the opportunity to watch it.