Sunday, February 19, 2006

Damn it feels like winter

It's so beautifully sunny that I want to go enjoy the day, but the thermometer ouside says it's about 22 degrees (F ... looks like about -5 C). We've been having so much springlike weather lately that it's hard to accept. Could it really be that cold out?

Anyway, I had fun last night at Christa's party. I almost didn't go, because when 9 o'clock rolled around I was all snug on the sofa having just finished watiching a mediocre movie (Pretty Persuasion), and I didn't feel like getting up. But I knew that I'd see people I like to see at Christa's (including Christa herself, whom I actually have not seen in the flesh in many months), so I dragged myself of the sofa, put on my party duds and ventured forth (accompanied by Mr. Pants, of course.) Once there I invented a drink that I'm calling the "Sir Isaac Newton" (because that's the first name that popped into my head): Ginger ale, sour apple and rum.

I saw many of the folks whose blogs are listed to the right under "The Locals," including a certain ex-blogger who was done in by a bureaucrat who has nothing better to do than google her own name. His story has an element of irony that makes a certain bureaucrat look like a bit of a moron, but I won't tell it here because it's not really mine to tell. At any rate, his blog is missed and it was good to see him.

I was also delighted to talk about Battlestar Galactica with several people, including the other Lisa.

I was reminded that I need to go try some Locopops. I've been meaning to but somehow I just haven't. Unfrtunately today seems more like a hot chocolate day than a popsicle day ...

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I wanted to come over and introduce myself before we left, but then my cat allergies overcame me and we had to leave. But next time!

Lisa B. said...

Well drat that I missed you!

christa said...

every day is a popsicle day!!

thanks for coming to the party -- it's always great to see you & mr. pants.

and sorry about the cat allergies!! :-(

andrew said...

The weather here is a little screwy too. We have only had one or two snowstorms this winter, and more often than not this winter there has been no snow on the ground. On Friday it was 15C (60F) and I was wandering around in a t-shirt. On Saturday in was -20C (-6F or 38 degrees below freezing on the fahrenheit scale.) To put that in context, two years ago this week I watched in an open-mouthed disbelief, recently arrived from a warm climate, as over a metre of snow (40 inches) fell in our village in 10 hours. We had to climb over the car to get out of the front driveway.

More startlingly there are people here who are 90 years old who have never seen a winter this warm.

Thankfully global warming doesn't exist, so there is nothing to worry about.