Thursday, February 16, 2006

I can't feel my lips

I'm back from the dentist. Thank gods for ativan--I wouldn't have made it through the appointment without it. I thought--too late--this morning that my iPod would be a good companion for a dental appointment. I asked if they allow it, and not only do they, but the dentist had bought a couple of iPods just for patients to use. He hadn't loaded any music on them yet, but he did let me use a little radio walkman that I tuned to WCPE. The classical music made the semi-drugged up dental experience more surreal, in a good way. It didn't drown out that horrible whirring instrument that makes noises like R2D2 on 33-1/3 rpm, but it kept it from making me run screaming from the room. Of course, nothing helps you with the little scrape, scrape instrument of torture. Doesn't it sound like they are digging furrows into your tooth enamel? Awful, horrifying stuff!

Anyway, so I'm going to put a "Dentist" playlist on my iPod, with about an hour and a half of music to last through the whole procedure. I need to figure out the best music to include. Probably something engaging yet calming, so maybe Stereolab, Cocteau Twins, Mariachi Los Camperos de Nati Cano ... It needs to be stuff that won't make me feel like dancing because, well, I'll be in a dentists chair, duh. It also can't have catchy lyrics that will tempt me to sing because that might annoy the woman with her fingers in my mouth (So They Might Be Giants is right out ... ever since Georg's post the other day I've walking around singing "not to put too fine a point on it, say I'm the only bee in your bonnet, make a little birdhouse in your soul.")

So anyway, anyone got any good suggestions for dentist chair music?

Oh, and I'll get back to Battlestar Galactica shark-jumping ranting real soon ...

1 comment:

christa said...

glad WCPE was able to help.
now send us your money.
:-)