Saturday, February 04, 2006

My memory charm ...

Must remember to watch TV Tuesday night! The subject of one of my favorite books in recent years (Radio Free Dixie: Robert F. Williams and the Roots of Black Power
by Timothy B. Tyson) is also the subject of a documentary on PBS: Negroes With Guns: Rob Williams and Black Power. It will be on Tuesday, Feb 7 at 10 pm Eastern. You can read more about Williams here and about his Radio Free Dixie program (including audio) here. I don't have many heroes, but Williams is definitely one of them.

In other TV-related news, I have done what I never thought I'd ever do: downloaded a few TV programs from iTunes for $1.99 each. When they first came out with the service I thought it was stupid and I would never partake because I'm just not all that into TV and I couldn't see myself paying for programs. Then I got hooked on Battlestar Galactica, via DVD. Only half of the second season is out on DVD--the other half is still airing. By the time I got interested in the show I was behind in the on-air episodes, and I couldn't stand the thought of waiting until the DVD was released to see more. So I turned to iTunes. The drawback is that we have to watch on the 'puter screen because it looks like crap when we hook the 'puter up to our 33" television, but otherwise the viewing experience is a pleasure. Totally worth $1.99 each to me, and I'm a notorius cheapskate.

No comments: