Friday, March 31, 2006

A musical interlude ....

So one of the things we've been doing over the past year at WXDU is dusting off some of the old vinyl in the stacks, giving it a fresh new review (and marking any FCC-problematic shit) and sticking it into "Classic Vinyl Rotation" in the MCR. Today one of my fellow djs posted a new review of a more-than-20-year-old album that's still sweet candy to my ears: Rain Parade's Emergency Third Rail Power Trip. About a year ago I realized that album needed to reside in iTunes on my work computer so I could listen to it often (Nowadays it's sold together with their ep Explosions in the Glass Palace, which I also love). Rain Parade and other "Paisley Underground" bands of the early '80s helped my friends and I pretend we were some kind of neo-hippies--discovering substances they warn you about in high school health class, crashing on each other's floors and couches and dressing like street urchins. So of course as soon as the review came out over our e-mail list I though "Wow, Rain Parade would be the perfect thing to listen to right now!" And damn if it ain't. If this were an mp3 blog I'd post a track to tantalize any of you who may have never discovered the band ... but you're just going to have to trust me.

Meanwhile, would people please understand that "Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal term that refers to the burden of proof being on the prosecution and not the defendant in the US "justice" system? It does NOT mean that the average Joe or Jane is prohibited from forming their own opinion about someone based on whatever evidence they happen to have at hand (of course, expressing that opinion may in some cases be libelous, but that's another legal issue altogether...) I had a rant brewing about this but the Rain Parade I am currently listening to has made me too mellow to go into it right now ... maybe later after I go back to listening to The Gun Club ...

6 comments:

stephen said...

Yes, presumption of innocence is a legal concept. But doesn't it seem like good sense?

I'm trying to figure out the most compassionate and calm response to the crime. It's impossible to ignore something like this happening in our community, but I have so little knowledge with which to formulate a response. Does giving the victim benefit of doubt necessitate we deny benefit of doubt to the accused? I'm loathe to judge when I know so little.

Lisa B. said...

Hi Stephen--my response to you is turning out to be rather long, so I'm going to post it later as its own entry.

stephen said...

Okay! Look forward to reading it.

AngryNakedBum said...

It's odd though that so much of the compassion and empathy seems to be directed by a lot of Duke students toward themselves. Which is great.

But how about throwing a few stray crumbs towards the woman who was allegedly choked and beaten and raped? Or we all that jaded when it comes to adult sexual degradation that the alleged perpetrators' shame resonates much greater than the victim's?
Abu Ghraib anyone?

Santos said...

i want to read all your posts regarding the dook lacrosse team before i comment, but in the meantime....

i was a dj at kxlu, my university's station, during the height of the whole paisley underground thing. in fact, a couple of members of redd kross worked in the student store below the station. i've always had a soft spot for rain parade, and any band david roback was in--opal, mazzy star. have you heard the rainy day compilation? to this day it's one of my top ten favourite albums.

Lisa B. said...

I love the Rainy Day compilation! I really like their version of "I'll Keep it With Mine" featuring Susanna Hoffs on vocals.