Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Nature is a language, can't you read?

Arrgh, this morning was so beautiful I almost couldn't stand it. I took a walk for my morning break (we civil servants get breaks, but please don't tell anyone) because it would have been a crime to stay indoors. I played the Smiths on my iPod because the day reminded me of the kind of day way back when I might have been listening to the Smiths on a crappy old cassette Walkman. I was almost floating through the breathtakingly blue sky. "Ask me, ask me, ask me," I might have sung out loud joyously if I weren't so self-conscious, while I watched a little bird flying by. Suddenly, a gust of wind came by and WHAM! Little birdie hit the shiny granite side of the NC Department of Revenue and flopped to the pavement. I held out hope that he was just stunned and would get up and fly away as soon as he regained consciousness, but when I went over to investigate I saw that his little neckie was twisted in a way not unlike Linda Blair's in The Exorcist. I walked back to work with my feet on the ground.

1 comment:

lalitree said...

Oh my gosh!