Friday, April 28, 2006

The audio thing again ...

My pal Matt (who never updates his blog) sent me this great link to a 1998 article about the history of punk/DIY in North Carolina: How North Carolina Got Its Punk Attitude. A good read if you're interested in that sort of thing.

And I just have to mention another of the cds I picked up to review this week. No one else claimed it (it's a major-label, high-profile release ... not really WXDU's specialty) and I figured "Hey, I like Bruce Springsteen, and I like Pete Seeger ... why not give this a listen?" I am of course referring to We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions, Bruce Springsteen's tribute to the music of Pete Seeger. Before I had listened to it or read anything about it, I sort of expected it to be a bit morose ... maybe Bruce, a guitar, a 4-track ... sort of like Nebraska (which I liked very much, by the way). Boy was I wrong ... it's a hootenanny--and a kick-ass one, at that. Springsteen assembled 14 musicians in the living room of his house ("horns in the hall") and recorded the whole album in three one-day sessions "no rehearsals. All arrangements were conducted as we played, you can hear me shouting out the names and instruments of the players as we roll." The result just seems like the perfect way to hear these songs (not to imply any disrespect to Pete Seeger's versions, which I love). Just about gave me goosebumps. I immediately had to make somebody else listen to it ... fortunately Matt (you know, the one who never updates his blog?) was handy. He loved it, too.

4 comments:

Santos said...

what a great article on the history of punk/DIY in NC, thanks for linking to it. it's funny how many memories that brought back to me, considering they were all los angeles based: the first 'photo shoot' i ever had was taking photos for the school paper for an interview with mitch easter, and the first internship i had was for that death metal division of enigma records that signed corrosion of conformity. later, i worked in the record shop next door to where they were filming an episode of IRS records' "cutting edge" with chris stamey (someone told me chris had the worst foot stink ever), and peter holsapple lived down the street from me....i knew chris and peter were in the dBs, but i was never fully aware of what the mitch easter connection was until now.

Elizabeth said...

The New Yorker had an article in it last week which made me like Pete Seeger even more.

Lisa B. said...

I've seen ther New Yoprker article referenced elsewhere ... too bad I don't sunscribe because it's not online and I'd love to read it. (Anyone willing to scan it and send me a pdf would be my best pal).

chotda, all the nc bands were the shit when I was in school in Blacksburg, VA--we were envious of Chapel Hill. We had a dinky little music scene, and to see a good show people either had to road trip north to DC or south to NC. REM credits the NC triangle/triad regions as "home turf" during their early days because that's where they had tons of opportunities to play.

sambson said...

Thanks for digging the "How North Carolina Got It's Punk Attitude" article. I've made a playlist on Grooveshark to go with it here:
http://grooveshark.com/#/playlist/How+North+Carolina+Got+It+s+Punk+Attitude/60353327