Sunday, April 16, 2006

Is it still April?

Damn it's hot for April. Or maybe it's just hot when you're out in the sun all day long. I spent today at an agility trial in Youngsville and I really didn't feel like runing around in circles in that heat, so I'm sure Lucy wasn't thrilled. She was definitely going slower than usual, although she was plenty fast to qualify when we had clean runs (three qualifying runs out of five total). There are baby pools and water sprayers to cool down the dogs, and I jerry-rigged a nice shade contraption out of a tarp and the back hatch of my car so that Lucy stayed cool in her crate (there was a breeze that helped). But I had to broil out in the sun most of the day because I helped build the courses and crew the ring when I wasn't running.

My next trial will be up in the mountains (Fletcher, N.C.), in a covered arena, and I'm really looking forward to it. Then over Memorial Day there will be a three-day trial in Chapel Hill. I'm hoping it rains--I'd rather be soaked than fried.

UPDATE: I forgot to add, and I really need to because it was the highlight of my day, that Lucy and I placed first ahead of a border collie in our Gamblers run (we tied for points accumulated and our time was about 4 tenths of a second faster). This may not be impressive if you don't know much about border collies, but let me assure you that when they are good they are very, very good--and fast. To be fair, success in Gamblers is as much about handler strategy as it is about dog speed, and I think the border collie is really a faster dog than Lucy. But the upside of that is that it means I did a really good job as a handler ... and it's about damn time, I must say.

No comments: