Monday, April 17, 2006

Starbucks stinks

I meant to blog this before but you-know-what bumped it from the front burner: Starbucks is suing a guy for calling his coffee shop "Doubleshot" because they claim they own the term. Never mind that "doubleshot" is common, universal coffeehouse lingo for a double shot of espresso, and never mind that Starbucks owns the trademark only to "Starbucks Doubleshot," not just "doubleshot" itself. This is about the Starbucks suits being heinous assholes because they own lots of lawyers. Makes me wish I drank Starbucks coffee just so I could quit.

Here's a link to Consumerist's coverage of the brew-ha-ha (heh, get it?), and here's a link to the Doubleshot Coffee Company blog.

If I had more social muscle on the 'nets I'd tell everyone to link the word "starbucks" to the Doubleshot blog, like this: Starbucks, to make a Google Bomb. Remember Google Bombs? Good times ... But alas, no one actually reads this blog, y'know, and the ones who do aren't about to do anything anyone else tells 'em to because they're feisty like that. So I'll just have to feel satisfied that it was a good idea anyway ...

4 comments:

TheCompleteGeek said...

Actually, people do read your blog. In fact, when I went to look at Google finance's summary for SBUX, you were number 1 on their list of recent blog references. Full disclosure: I'm a Starbuck's stockholder and generally a fan of their prepared products (coffee, lattes, etc). However, this type of anti-social behavior isn't usually productive. Sure, they have the right to protect their TMs, but they also have to respect other people's intellectual property, including that belonging to everyone. My suggestion: the liklihood of you having any meaningful effect on the outcome of this dispute by calling for a boycott or google bomb is slim. Instead, you should raise funds for Doubleshot, something that will help them compete in the courts, and help them find some probono lawyers to help make the case. It's probably worth the effort. Cheers!

Lisa B. said...

Howdy Geek

The Google Bomb thing was for fun (I'm a prankster at heart.)

Yes, everyone should go give money for lawyers to Doubleshot--they are selling clever T-shirts via a PayPal link on their page (T-shirts that contain the word "Doubleshot" and would therefore need to be destroyed if Starbucks wins their "cease and desist" quest).

I'm not even sure how to hire a lawyer (probably a good sign) much less get one to do pro-bono work ... I'll ask the law student who lives next door ...

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I lack the IT skills to google bomb. However, I do have the photoshop skills needed to reveal the hidden message in every cup of their coffee

Disclaimer: I like the coffee, I am poor and not worth suing, I have never been to Seattle

TT

Lisa B. said...

That's lovely, TT