Sunday, May 14, 2006

Can I brag about my cool little dog?

I had a good agility weekend. I was at a USDAA trial in Fletcher, NC, and Lucy and I had some great runs. We had some really crappy runs, too, but one of this weekend's course maps had a quote by Dale Earnhardt that I am taking to heart: "Don't let one bad moment spoil a bunch of good ones." Of course, he said that before his own Great Big Bad Moment taught us all that some bad moments are much worse than others ... but never mind. I take the quote to mean that I shouldn't let the moment when I ran into a jump wing and knocked it down during a gamblers run spoil the moment when Lucy and I finished a virtually flawless jumpers course. When we finished, I thought to myself "Damn, we rocked that course!" It was a great feeling. It was our third qualifying score on an advanced jumpers course, which means that now we move up to master's level jumpers competition.

Mr. Pants took video, which I may upload to Vimeo later in the week. He also recorded the embarrassing jump collision--but nobody wants to see that kind of thing, right?

We also competed in our first Grand Prix qualifier on Saturday. I knew we weren't really ready, because the courses are harder than we are used to and the competition is stiffer, but I needed to try it. There were a lot of spectators, and we provided much entertainment as things went spectacularly wrong ... all due to bad handling on my part. No big deal--a lot of people I had never met came up to me afterward and gushed about what a cute dog Lucy is, and that's really the important thing, right? It doesn't matter who wins as long as your dog is cute ... and my dog is indeed very cute.

Anyway, I'm exhausted and my little dog is snoring next to me. I hope she had as much fun as I did.

2 comments:

andrew said...

Well done to thee and thine hound. I wish I could claim to have done anything that 10% as active this weekend.

Lisa B. said...

I'm not sure if I would be as active if it weren't for the dogs!