Saturday, May 06, 2006

Feeling somewhat better, thank you

So I ended up having boiled eggs and mashed sweet potato for dinner yesterday, and it made me feel a bit better. Then I went slightly over my rations allotment by having a mango paleta from Francisco, the Mexican ice cream man who roams my hood. Fabulous--there was a an oversize chunk of mango in my popsicle, so it felt like I was eating real food ...

But seriously, the soft-foods amendment to the diet has made it almost unworkable. I think that texture is almost as important as taste in my food enjoyment (which is why I have a hard time eating things like cooked zucchini--the texture makes me sick). As much as I love cottage cheese, oatmeal, yogurt and the like, often when I'm hungry I really want to chew something. I'm starting to exhibit prisoner behaviors ... last night while I was cutting up dog training treats (this stuff) I had a momentary urge to shove a handful of them in my mouth, not because I was starving but because I just wanted to bite down on food (the stuff smells like summer sausage ... quite appetizing to me, really). I resisted ... it does have meat in it, after all ...

Anyway, I'm going to walk to the Farmers Market now and get something to puree ... I have a recipe for strawberry-rhubarb soup and I think I'll try it.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I had TMJ pretty bad about 10 years ago and I felt exactly the same way about mushy food. Like I would have given anything for a sandwich on crusty bread. I hope your teeth are better soon!

I have a nice recipe for strawberry rhubarb parfaits if you're interested. You sprinkle crushed ginger snaps on top so you get a bit of crunch without having to really chew on anything. It's not low calorie though, it has whipped cream in it. So maybe it wouldn't be the best thing right now.

Lisa B. said...

Even if it's not diet I'd love the recipe ... Maybe I could use yogurt instead of whipped cream ...