Wednesday, May 31, 2006

First word sounds like ...

I'm looking for a book. Not just any book, but one I heard about on NPR--I think it was on "Fresh Air." It's by a guy who travels around the world eating all sorts of stuff--things that probably seem disgusting except to the people who eat them. I can't remember the name of the author or the book, and I can't seem to find any mention of such a thing when I look through the Fresh Air archives for the past month (I'm pretty sure I heard the program sometime over the past two weeks.) I've used several key words to search Amazon and I'm just getting a bunch of Lonely Planet guides (and a book by Elliot Hester that looks fun). Anybody have any idea what book/author this is? Leave a comment or something if you have any leads.

Speaking of books, I'm so thrilled that the Durham County Library has replaced their kludgy, slow, temperamental java-based online portal with something fast, easier to use and with a couple more features. You can still reserve books for pickup (my favorite thing because they notify you it's there and you just pick it up at the front desk) and now you can also renew online. Plus you can make a reading list of books you want to reserve in the future (you're not allowed to have more than five holds at once) and then with one click you can put them on reserve when you're ready. I love this because I'm always learning about new books I'd like to read but don't have the time for yet. So I put them on my list at the DCL site, and then I don't forget about them when I actually have time to check them out. Of course that's assuming the DCL has the book--they're pretty good but they don't get everything. If they don't have it I just fill out their online book request form. That still doesn't guarantee they'll get it, but sometimes they do. The library is so cool I don't mind that the overdue fines are rather large--it's still cheaper than all the money I'd be spending if I bought all the stuff I read.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it "The Nasty Bits" by Anthony Bourdain? (Lacking any html skillz, I'll let you look it up on amazon.)

cg

Lisa B. said...

That's it! Thanks!

scott said...

Lisa, if you want to read Bourdain's first non-fiction book, Kitchen Confidential, just lemme know and I'll give it to Mr. Pants. It's about his experiences working as a chef. More illuminating than good, really. Bourdain has essentially now become a brand of his own, with both books and tv shows, but he really will try just about anything, including quite a number of nasty bits. I think he says the worst thing he's ever eaten is Scandanavian fermented shark. yum.

Lisa B. said...

Yes, I do want to read it!

Scandinavian fermented shark soesn't sound as bad as other things ... but then again it doesn't sound that good, either.

georg said...

i also have KC as well as Cook's Tour (which is more in the "travel the world eating dodgy food" mode than KC) and would be glad to lend you either

scott said...

I think if you replace the word "fermented" with the word "putrescent" you'll start to get the idea...

Lisa B. said...

Well, I can borrow Scott's KC and your Cooks Tour, then.

Thanks!